Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Starter?

Or maybe something else?

Hey Ronjon - no expert on fire starters but that sure looks like scorch marks around that impression near the bottom end and in the middle surface. Let's wait and see what some of the more knowledgeable artifact collectors/hunters have to say. Whatever it is, it sure looks interesting. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Off the top, the little circle with the dimple in the middle reminds me of a fossil crinoid column. A cross section of the column. Here's what I mean, taken from this page:

Rhode Island

Comment

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Your right. An impression of a fossil segment of a crinoid stem. The scorched area is probably just discoloration from where ever the stone was laying.

Originally posted by Scorpion68 View Post
      Hey Ronjon - no expert on fire starters but that sure looks like scorch marks around that impression near the bottom end and in the middle surface. Let's wait and see what some of the more knowledgeable artifact collectors/hunters have to say. Whatever it is, it sure looks interesting. ...Chuck
      That's what I thought I saw too.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
        Off the top, the little circle with the dimple in the middle reminds me of a fossil crinoid column. A cross section of the column. Here's what I mean, taken from this page:

That's exactly what it looks like, thank you for the post!

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me what shows up on this website and the breadth of expertise. Charlie - that input on the Crinoid impression was awesome. I've never seen anything like that before but you can bet I'll remember it. What a process. Mother nature strikes again and we are all a little smarter. ...Chuck
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
          X