Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have an answer (or an educated guess) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have an answer (or an educated guess) ?

Hello I'm new to this site. I traded some items for this head and if nothing else it's pretty cool looking but I've been looking all over the net for info about it or even something similar with no luck but it did lead me to arrowheads which as I'm learning is very informative, so does anyone have any insight they would like to share. What I was told was its made of obsidian and it came from Jalisco, Mexico. The guy I got it from said he's had it for 13yrs and before that a family member of his had it for as long has he could remember. Any info will be appreciated.

That is very strange looking and I like it.
    I doubt that there is a lot of age to it but lets wait for the others to speak up.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Thanks for the input, i thought the same thing about its age when i saw pics of it the first time but after actually seeing the detail along with the natural patina, well pics just don't do it justice at all. I will upload better pics shortly

Comment

Omg you have darthmaders mask that is priceless
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Looks a bit alienesque or the product of someone's nightmare. The truth is out there ...
          Child of the tides

Comment

Maybe "Clovisoid" will see this and comment he has more knowledge than anyone I know pertaining to artifacts from Mexico and other regions south of our borders. "Painshill" would probably be able to track it down if it is indeed a known artifact type. However he has been MIA for sometime and deeply missed by all here.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I have no clue but it's really high on the cool scale! That thing will be a great conversation piece.

Von

Comment

My gut is that is a modern piece.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Looks like an alien reproduction to me.
                  South Dakota

Comment

Well better photos outside with a real camera would be of great help.
                    Obsidian, in that part of Mexico, is one of the largest deposits found in the world.
                    Some outstanding colors as well. Rainbow and golden obsidian can be obtained there through legal channels.

Although there are artisans in Mexico that produce a variety of items fashioned from the Jalisco obsidian, your item may be authentic.
                    There have been other facial/skull representations found of Mayan and Azteca origin and historically highly collectable.
                    Not crystal skull collectable but wow still out there with the highly sought after.
                    It appears to be unfinished.

Although obsidian is not classed as a mineral it is sometimes classed as mineraloid.
                    Natural glass with highly complex mix of materials.
                    But like I said before need better pictures.
                    Hope Clovisoid and Roger can get in on this post.

Jess B.
                    Last edited by Bone2stone; 03-21-2017, 03:45 AM.
                    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                    Circa:1982

Comment

UPDATE... So the rain finally let up and I was able to snap some good pics. Also squeezed what I could out of the previous owner. From what I gather it is from Ojuelos de Jalisco, Mexico. He also said that it had been his uncle's before him and was to the best of his knowledge found sometime in the early to mid 1900's.

Comment

Comment

Darn if don't appear as If it has European features.
                          Does not look like any of the Central American or any of the indigenous peoples.
                          I am going to get in touch with Roger and get his take on this one.
                          Are you using a cell phone for pics?
                          Blown up pics don't work well on smart phone resolution.
                          Jess B
                          Last edited by Bone2stone; 03-22-2017, 03:13 AM.
                          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                          Circa:1982

Comment

The Crystal Skulls were debunked as modern in 2013. Even the one that was on display in the Smithsonian. The famous ones were traced to an art dealer. http://cen.acs.org/articles/91/i9/Cr...emed-Fake.html

Comment

Thank you everyone for the feedback. The reason I even started researching this is because I may have to consider selling it. So with that in mind has anyone seen anything like it for sale and how much did it sell for? And any suggestions on a good venue for which to sell or auction it? Again thank you everyone for the feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X