Can anyone identify these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify these?

Can anyone tell me what these are. I'm pretty sure one the one with the hole is a fire starter stone, but I have never seen anything like the other one.

Welcome to the site Denise. Both are natural. But keep looking, artifacts are out there
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Denise I believe them to be geologically formed and not man made. I cant be sure on the type of material but I think they are rocks. However the one on the right has some cool layering to it and I would have brought it home also. But don't be embarrassed about your thought on the fire starter. I actually took this to an artifact show many years ago thinking the same thing. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1321.JPG Views:	1 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	245642And welcome to the site.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Can anyone tell me where to turn to try to identify the layered one? It has really gotten my curiosity up. Just so unusual that I would really like to understand it better and find out why it has this unusual shape. Also, what about these? Pestle and mano or just rocks? And I curious as to why these arrowheads have such different shapes? Would that have been used for different things and if so, what? Thanks for any help. I'm new to this site and still trying to figure out how to maneuver around on here.

Comment

The layered one looks like sandstone to me and being a sedimentary stone it tends to layer like that. Sedimentary rocks are formed one layer on top of another. Geologists can determine much about the climate and landscape during the time of their formation by examining the layers.. In your second post the first one is a rock second might be a Mano but you did not add anything to offer us a perspective on it's size. You have three very nice points there what county and state were they found. Different styles are for different uses but also can help determine the age of the artifact.
          Last edited by Hoss; 03-26-2017, 09:03 AM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

The points are from Rockingham County, NC

Comment

Here is another photo with comparison to acorn shell. This piece seems to fit perfectly into my hand on one side and seems to show wear on the other. Thoughts?

Comment

The one with the hole that you thought was a fire starter rock looks like sandstone too. There may have been a tiny shell or a piece of fossil crinoid stem that eroded out over time leaving the circular hole in the stone.
                Last edited by Hoss; 03-27-2017, 08:13 PM.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Those are three nice points there. Can you show an edges shot of the mano looking piece...it does look to have some polishing done to it...maybe put something next to the points to show scale...also if you can take pictures outside with a contrasting background even if its overcast seems to show detail the best...nice heads you have there...

Comment

In my honest opinion the first point on left in the picture is a Savannah River point. The second narrow one in the middle is a Guilford point. Not sure on that little one on the right side?

Comment

Thanks Hoss....being a NE Illinois flatlander that sees about 90% Burl Chert its hard to make calls from other areas. North Carolina is a real hotbed though...

Comment

Not positive but leaning towards Palmer on the third point.
                        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Here are a few more pics of the possible Mano. Please let me know what you think.

Comment

I think that is just a natural rock

Comment

Welcome Denise. Those are three cool points. I agree with Hoss about the possible Mano. I always find them hard to know for sure. Sometimes you have to find them in context to know .
                              South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X