Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lately, I've Been Finding Some Odd Ones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lately, I've Been Finding Some Odd Ones...

Not that I'm complaining...

SE Mass, found in a washout near a saltwater estuary.,.

I try not to ask too many questions on here because I enjoy trying to figure these things out and I also don't want to become an annoyance with all of my n00b questions... lol. I have changed my mind on this one about five times since I found it last week... when I first picked it up, I thought it was an Atlantic with a damaged stem, but then I realized that the stem was made that way. Then I thought it was a Stark, until realized the shoulders were all wrong. Then I started to think about Rossville but I think the shoulders are too strong. Currently, I'm leaning toward a Neville Variant that's either unfinished or perhaps, reworked. The right side of the blade portion does appear to have been resharpened... maybe the base took a hit at the same time and the maker thinned it out a bit more? The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't know what it is!

So I'm turning it over to you AH.com

I will add that the area I found it has produced a handful of Nevilles and Variants, but...

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    -Dave

No picture?
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Shows on my phone and my laptop...

Comment

Or this.....

After doing a little more research online, there are a few Poplar Island examples that resemble this point... could it be a wayward Poplar Island?
        Last edited by Looks2Much; 03-27-2017, 04:21 PM.

Comment

No help with ID on those northern points but that's a nice one.

Comment

If it was found here in VA I'd call it a Morrow Mt. but take a look at Koens Crispin in Overstreet.
            Child of the tides

Comment

I agree it looks like a Morrow Mountain and projectile points.net shows them all along the east coast including New England. Google morrow mountain projectile point and you will find some good information on them.

Really nice find and pretty old too.

Von
              Last edited by Von; 03-27-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

It definitely does look like a Morrow Mountain and some examples of the Koens as well. I think I remember reading somewhere that the Stark point is considered the Northeast version of the Morrow Mountain, is this an accepted distinction? In any case, I guess I can add a new type to my list of personal finds... I'm happy to call it a Morrow Mountain, but maybe some other NE guys will have further insights.

Thanks for your help Von and HavenHunter

Comment

It is not completely out of line for some Stark points. Not at all, in fact. Boudreau states that it is not important whether Stark was a local innovation or whether it was borrowed from Morrow Mountain Type II from the Carolina Piedmont. One other thing to note is that although it is not likely a Poplar Island, the Poplar Island is not "wayward" in New England. Boudreau includes more then 2 dozen examples in his New England typology. At any rate, your point compares favorably with some of the Starks Boudreau illustrates. And it is understandable why collectors outside our New England region recognize a Morrow Mountain resemblance when viewing our Stark points.....
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you Charlie. I can't imagine the amount of studying you must have done over the years.

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't ever look at me as an authority. Typology defeats me every day of the week. Especially where Stark-Poplar Island-Rossville are concerned. I am blessed to have an editor's proof of Boudreau's magnum opus, his revised typology. It has large sample sizes for all types found in southern New England. We all hope his life's work is published one day......

• Looks2Much
                      Looks2Much commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, I get that, but you have very good insights and I think we all really appreciate the time you put into working with us to figure these things out

• Looks2Much
                      Looks2Much commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I certainly hope the "big book" sees publication, I bet someone could set up enough pre-orders to pay for the printing... I'd be first on the list, regardless of cost

BTW, to differentiate even more, in his section on Poplar Island, Boudreau illustrates 5 examples that he says fit the description of Schuylkill points. They exhibit traits of older Poplar Island and Stark points. Acutely angles shoulders of Stark points, but with a longer stem more common to Poplar Island. 4000-2000 BP. I now realize a point my wife found years ago is a Schuylkill, as it matches Boudreau's examples exactly. Here is that point, just to illustrate another long tapered stem point type found in New England.....

Rhode Island

Comment

I'm thinking Stark also.

Comment

Thanks again to everyone. I'll call it a Stark then

Comment

Here's a picture of of several NC Morrow Mountains. The middle one is pretty close to the same as your Stark.

Von
                          Last edited by Von; 03-28-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Looks2Much
                            Looks2Much commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Very similar. Nice points

I wish I could say I found them but they are part of a collection I bought several years ago. The one on the right is one of my favorite points and the only Morrow Mountain I have seen with that much basil thinning. The patina rhyolite it's made from also has a blue tint which is unusual too.

Von

Comment

Working...
                          X