Please help, what did I find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, what did I find?

Can anyone help me identify these items? Think one may be some sort of tool, several points of some type and one I'm not sure what it is. Thanks for any help.

Hello Denise I moved your post so it will get more views. Where did you find these? What county and state? No need to be specific. The fist picture is a celt and the third picture is a Stanly point. Second picture is a cool rock. but just a rock in my pinion. Please tell us more about you finds and in the future please lace something other than an acron shell for scale. Acrons come in many sizes. Welcome to arrowheads.com
    Last edited by Hoss; 04-19-2017, 04:35 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Whoa Denise!!! You have hit well there...that first one is a beautiful celt and the third is a great point...the middle I cant say from the pics but a celt is a bucket lister of mine...great finds...and please more info as to area and no specifics...just a general location...way cool finds...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Did you find these in a single day? The Celt is awesome!
        Child of the tides

Comment

Looks like a nice miniature celt
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Nice celt Denise. The white one is just a rock
            South Dakota

Comment

Great finds. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for the help identifying these objects. I'm new to this site and having trouble knowing where and how to post. There are all from Rockingham County, NC. These are from many days. Wish I could find this much in one day. Most of my finds come from farm fields or some of the washed out woodland trails on the farm. Can anyone tell me why the three points pictured together look so crude? The larger one is oddly shaped as if never finished. The small wide one is concave on one side and the middle one even looks crooked. Are these culls that were just never finished? Dose anyone know of a good site to learn about the early people of this area? Thanks again for the help.

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello Denise you came to the right place fr help. Here is a tutorial for creating new topics. http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/n...te-a-new-topic By the way there is an archaeology day in Warrenton on Saturday you can bring your artifacts and show them to Cliff Jackson he is very knowledgeable on North Carolina and other artifacts. Cliff is a friend and long time collector. Unfortunately I am in East TN and will not be driving over for Cliff's event but he puts on an good archaeology day event. http://www.arrowheads.com/index.php/...rchaeology-day

Hey Denise, Congrats on some beautiful artifacts. That Celt is awesome and in great condition. Some points look rather crude because of the lithic material that was used. I have knapped about fifty different kinds of rock and some just don't flake well. Your one point was never finished because the percussion flakes kept ending in a step rather than feather out. The ancient knapper said a few choice words and gave that one a toss.

PS I still think that unfinished point is a very cool find.
                Last edited by Ron Kelley; 04-20-2017, 10:36 AM.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hi Denise those are some great finds! Two things I would recommend to start with are the book Time Before History the archaeology of North Carolina and using the UNC rla website.
                  N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Those are great. I love that celt, it's very nice

Comment

Hi Denise,

Those are all nice finds and the celt may be a once in a lifetime find. The odd shaped points could be culled points or resharpened to the point where they were considered useless. The celt makes me think your farm is on a woodland settlement? Have you found any pottery shards?

Von
                      Last edited by Von; 04-20-2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I have not found any pottery yet, but I keep my eye to the ground whenever walking over the farm. A lot of the points I've found have been broken by tractors and plows in the fields.

Comment

Working...
                        X