2nd find maybe a 3rd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd find maybe a 3rd?

Well yesterday I found my first ever today I find another! About 30 yards from the spot I found yesterday. Funny story, after I found it I had it in my jacket pocket and was stooping down to look...well it just tumbled out and dissapeared...I had to find it a second time! I know you're not supposed to carry them in pockets but I never had to figure out where to keep them until now! Any tips on that? So thrilled!

The larger stone I thought looked like a tool of some sort. Any confirmation would be appreciated!

Comment

Yup, that's more flaked rock, maybe some sort of tool, not sure. Definitely comb that spot.

Comment

Oh, I didn't see the second one, it looks like it could be a notched weight but don't quote me on that, we will need someone who knows their stuff to look at it.

Comment

Nobody ever told me not to carry them in my pockets. I always have, without a problem. Hope your luck continues.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Yep, another tool of sort probably. As for carrying in your pocket... I always carry everything in my pocket but I of course use discretion. For instance, that broadspear point I just found surely would have cracked if I bent down with it in my pocket with my keys so I had kept it in my hand, haha. Small points, flake tools, etc. fare well in my pocket.

Comment

From three years to this, your on a roll now. Deep or zippered or velcroed pockets!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

1 Point per pocket, that way they don't clank. Nice finds!
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Now you know how the first guy/gal dropped it!
                  Child of the tides

Comment

Looks like a little knife or scraper. The second one may just be natural
                    South Dakota

Comment

The hardstone lithic appears to have been altered by man. I would know for certain if I could see it in person. You show the stone in different angles but not enough different angles for me to make a good determination. HST, with just a little bit of imagination I think I can see at least one and possible two bit ends of a axe or hammer. The old time guys would often pick up a river rock that was of the approximate shape for an intended use and then modify it just enough to suit their needs. If the stone was somewhat flat to begin with they could just put a notch on either side to assist with halfting for use as a hammer or axe which was different than how a celt is halfted. Your rock looks like one end may have been beat up by use back in the day. Now that is what my imagination sees. You have to understand that in many instances that the cruder the artifact the more photos you will need to take when asking others for their opinions. This is particularly true for hardstone artifacts. Your other chert tool looks like some kind of crude knife or a piece that was on its way to being one.

Comment

I would say that both pieces shown are tools used for some purpose. I keep all finds in pant pockets or in zippered jacket pockets and have never lost one yet in 35 years of hunting.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info guys...I have only found three rough pieces in this site. It is on a lake bluff and I seemed to see a pattern of them being in sandy eroded areas with high erosion. We've had some heavy spring rains and I have obsessively scoured these areas for more the days after a good rain with no luck. It is interesting to see how things change and move from one hunt to the next. Should I let it rest awhile and search elsewhere or keep looking there? Is it better to spend more time on a smaller area or less time and cover more ground?

Comment

I also learned that the bluff here erodes at about .75 to 1.5 ft per year so depending on the age of the artifacts I found there there might not have even been a bluff there at that time period. 10000 years ago it could have been 1.5 miles out by my math and would have been a lot further from a water source. It would have then most like been connected to a peninsula. Really interesting stuff. I was trying to imagine where a camp would have been but I think the further back you go the harder that is to do.

Comment

Working...
                            X