Antique Mall find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Mall find?

My wife and I took our daughter to Charlotte this morning and stopped at a Antique Mall while in Concord. While looking through some showcases I saw this in a Riker frame with $20 each marked on it. I think it was originally $35 and it must have set there awhile. Anyway it looks to be some kind of chert and measures 3.25"X 1.375". The tag says "crescent knife"? What do you folks think I have here?

Von
    Last edited by Von; 04-23-2017, 05:07 PM.

Crescent Knives have a unique look to them that what you bought doesn't have but it looks like a crescent shaped knife. They are from "the west" and don't seem to travel this (MO) far and doubt the type made it to TN., but it's nice anyway.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Here's some better pictures.

Von

Comment

Thank's for your opinion. There's thoughts as to which direction stoneage technology moved in North America? Was it really north to south or was it east to west? From what I have read I don't think anyone can say with complete confidence that they are correct.

Von

Comment

I think it came in from all different directions, and not just from bering strait. They could have went SW or NE. I was with a friend a bit west of here but still east missouri when he found what looked very much like a crescent knife. I like to think the same folks out west that were making them made it to there and left it but who knows? Here is a link about crescent knives but thanks for sharing that, really.

Comment

Projectilepoints.net is absoluteltly one of the best resources I have found. I see what you mean. What is considered a paleo crescent knife is from out west. Check out pidba.utk.edu. The fluted point maps are really interesting. If you haven't seen them I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Here in NC you have to dig about 4' or deeper to get to the Kirk, Dalton, Clovis strata. It's shallower in many areas because of erosion but heavy forestation has buried artifacts here. That being said I can go into pretty much any plowed field and find something if I look hard enough and that's really cool!

Von
            Last edited by Von; 04-23-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              Great Von, it does look like a nice artifact anyway. I think lithics.net is a good one too but We here have put together a nice typology Identification area in the information center. The ground varies a lot out here also. Yep, Awesome how these ancient things can be found.Happy Hunting

I hope some Tennessee guys or gals will chime in. Maybe they have some similar artifacts?

Von

Comment

Does anyone from Tennessee have something similar or know where this material may have come from?

Von

Comment

Originally posted by Von View Post
                Does anyone from Tennessee have something similar or know where this material may have come from?

Von
                For The Record I'm not stalking You Von. Check out Hornstone maybe that's what it is, not sure though.

Comment

Looks typical of Tennessee lithics, probably Ft. Payne chert. As for what it is? Seems to show resharpening favoring one side of the blade indicating use as a knife. Would I call it a "crescent knife"? Probably not. I think that's an actual type found in western parts of the country and is pretty different from what your showing. Best i could say as to describe it would be sturdy ovate blade showing A-Symmetric resharpening. Hope this helps! Thanks for sharing!
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I'll have to look up Ft. Payne chert. Do you have any idea as to the age of something like this artifact?

Von

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                      Kyflintguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Could be anywhere from Paleo - Mississipian . there is no diagnostic features on this blade that would help place it to one specific era as blades like this were made throughout all time periods.

Hey friends long to no see but i still like to read the posts. Anyway that looks like a tool or knife to me. Knife though not a crescent knife. Distinguishing fact for crescents is quality more than shape imo. Still cool artifacts. Thanks

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                      Kyflintguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey I feel like Ive seen a 👻. Good to see you posting!

• OBION
                      OBION commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hello again!

I guess that explains why they seem to be inexpensive compared to other artifacts. I'm going to
                    take it to the Artifact show in a couple weeks along with some other odd stuff I have and see what else I can learn. Thanks again.

Von

Comment

I agree with Josh, fort payne chert. I love artifacts from this material. I have a few very similar. Nice piece.

Comment

It is a knife with a crescent shape but does not appear to be the type called Crescent Knife. It seems like a genuine artifact and looks like much of the Ft. Payne chert from middle Tennessee or north Alabama. There are no distinguishing characters about it to enable assigning it to a type and therefore a time period. But whatever the period because of the way it was made it was intended for some heavy duty work if indeed the blade is in its finished stage. When I saw the first series of pics I kinda thought it may have been unfinished. But when I saw your 2nd group of pics I noticed what seems to be a good bit of edge wear/use. Stone knives throughout time just like knives made of steel today come in all sizes and shapes and were made to be used for a variety of functions.

Comment

Working...
                        X