Here I go again with the questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I go again with the questions...

I found this Wednesday on the farm. I believe it's sandstone. It looks like it was a part of something but I have no idea what.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Hey Jethro. The first pic looks like it was either cast or formed in a way...cant really tell of the material though. I'm gonna go with a busted piece cement or stone ornament maybe?
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Thank you Baba...99.9% sure it's not cement. A friend said he thought it might be a part of an effigy pipe. I know it's hard to tell from just a picture... He's seen a few and knows way more than me, but he's only seen a pic I sent him on the phone. The stone is relatively soft and easily manipulated, and it feels and looks like sand, except it's hard. I posted 4 pics but it looks like only three made the transfer. I'll try again with the 4th.

Comment

Comment

Hey...that could be with that channel running thru the one side. I just guessed on cement or some type of poured or cast grout of some type. Someone here will be able to help ya get a good idea on just what it is. Hopefully ya really got something there dude...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

When I picked it up and cleaned it a bit, I realized it was part of something pretty cool and I spent two hours looking for another piece of it. :-/

I'm not done looking. After the next rain I'm going back.

Comment

I guess I'm not really seeing anything here. I don't see how you would get a pipe out of this.
              South Dakota

Comment

No, sorry for the misunderstanding Gary...I meant a piece of a pipe/effigy. The only things I've ever seen made from sandstone are pipes, and I've seen a couple pretty cool effigy pipes, so my reasoning and my friend's was that it was perhaps a piece of one, broken off. It definitely has been worked by humans, holding it and looking at it I'm certain now of that...though to what end, I can only guess. It looks like an elbow or a knee joint, which fits with one of the pipes I saw years ago, that of a small sitting man with his knees tucked up to his chest and arms around his knees. The top of his head was the bowl.
                Sandstone isn't native to the area, and I have never even found any pieces close to that site. It was in/near a plowed through burial. There were pot shards scattered about.

Comment

Working...
                X