Natural chert or NA debris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural chert or NA debris?

I'm pretty sure its natural but I found an actual flake yet so aside from Google images I'm not exactly sure what they look like.

Gentleone444, They look like cobble from the glaciers to me. Piles of it here in the fields of Ohio. To identify flakes look for the bulb of percussion and ripples from the impact of knapping. I know I am getting close when I start picking up little slivers of flint. Good luck out there, fldwlkr
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Thank you sir!

Comment

When I get a chance I'll post some close ups of couple chert flakes, I have to wait until daylight though to take the pics.

Comment

• Gentleone444
          Gentleone444 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd appreciate that for sure!

After You pick up enough You will get familiar with how they look. Usually thin but they can have some thickness. There is what is called a bulb of percussion that can be seen on most. Once You locate a camp You should see knapping debitage and or flakes. Here's a few Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2291.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	248275Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2219.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	248276
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That helps thank you!

Comment

Gentleone PM me your address. I will send you some broken points for study.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Here's some pics. I was busy and missed daylight so hopefully this will do. I've taken front and back pics of three different flakes, the last flake also shows a side pic. The smooth side is where the flake was separated from the stone. The other side shows the scars from the previous flakes removed.

Hope that helps.
              Last edited by -=METACOM=-; 04-25-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Forgot one.

Comment

Working...
                X