Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

info? found yesterday in bienville parish louisiana,near black buyou,maybe caddo,im just learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info? found yesterday in bienville parish louisiana,near black buyou,maybe caddo,im just learning

Awesome looking cason. IMO that's quite a find.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hi Cason, Welcome to the forum. That is a dandy little axe you found or perhaps a hammer or maul. I can't see from your photo how sharp the striking edges are. Whether it is Caddo or something from a much older culture there is no way for me to tell. If you found it on a site with a lot of Caddo pottery scattered around then I would say it probably was Caddo. If found on a site that produces pottery or identifiable pointy shaped rocks from an earlier culture then it may not be Caddo. I am a long ways from being any kind of authority on hardstone artifacts but that one seems to be unusually small. While celts can often be very small, it seems to me that axes and mauls were usually much larger than the one you are showing us. It is good that you provided the cigarette pack for scale. Without knowing how big your book is we would not be able to determine the size.

Comment

Like Joe said, that is small for an axe, but it sure is a sweet find. I'm no authority on hardstone either, but, if it is a full groove axe, I have one that is perhaps 2/3rd the size of that. I just measured mine using my wife's pack of cigarettes, lol, and it is smaller then the one you found. Congrats, you won't find something like that too often!
        Rhode Island

Comment

plenty more questions if you dont mind

Comment

Quite an introduction! The axe could be as early as archaic, like Joe said, what you find at the site will tell you more. The boatstone is quite a find too, thought to be an atlatl weight. Nice collection.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Awesome intro to the forum! You have some amazing finds. Over what period of time may I ask?
              Child of the tides

Comment

Whoa, no info here just admiring the show

Comment

I love your axe. I have a very small one as well. It could have been carried as a club too
                  South Dakota

Comment

The second pic could be a banner stone. I have one exactly like it.
                    east Tx.

Comment

Your other artifacts are very nice as well.
                      South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                      X