"Transitional Artifacts" thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Transitional Artifacts" thread?

One category that might be of interest to some of you – call it “transitional artifacts –
    would be for the European artifacts found mixed in with Native American ones in the same location, artifacts that were either used by Native Americans or were left by Europeans, who lived in the same place. In my neck of the woods like so many across the nation that are close to rivers or large bodies of water (not made by man), there was a mixing of cultures for a few hundred years (early 1600’s through the 1800’s – though in our area the native Americans were largely gone by 1825). Further north in Lakota Sioux country this period extends into the late 1800’s.
    In our first successful artifact hunt we found European artifacts mixed with Native American ones in an area where Europeans came through beginning in the early 1700’s (some think even much earlier). The glass, pottery, and metal items we found are quite old, though I am reasonably certain they are not from the 1700’s. I got to thinking, however, about these types of artifacts and it made me wonder about ones that were actually deposited by Native Americans. I realize that in many cases the items were deposited long after the Native Americans left, but not in all cases, as the Native Americans were quick to trade for tools and weapons of the Europeans when they began to inhabit America in the 1500’s (with the Spanish). Not only that, but archeological digs have found that many different Native American cultures inhabited the same sites, depositing on top of each other through time, which included ones that were present when they began to trade with Europeans.
    In any case, artifacts are found that are part of American history during this transitional phase. I am sure many of you have found all kinds of European artifacts in the areas where you have also found ones from Native Americans. I suppose there are forums dedicated to these types of artifacts, though I am not aware them, but I thought this category could be an interesting one to compliment the many others dedicated to Native American artifacts.

I can see by the lack of responses that this category suggestion is a yawner.  Perhaps, suggestions by greenhorns are that way and after a few years of hunting I'll feel the same way.  It has rained pretty good in the last few days so I'll be going out to the same site mentioned in this post to do a little hunting and see what comes up.

Comment

Interesting catagory.  The trade era is probably my favorite time period in our history.  It shows the complexity of cultural differences and preception of the world around us.  I have done a lot of research on the Norther Utes in CO.  There are still standing wickiups that have trade items around them, buttons, jewelry, metal points, bullets/ molds/ casings.  I think the most facinating part of it is the social aspect.  In my area, the Utes fell to two things, sugar and beads.  They valued beads so much, there are historical accounts of Ute men trading wives, horses, and even children in exchange for glass beads. Ironically, it still happens today with modern man.  Men save up for months just to give the pricey gift of diamonds.  Here is my contribution, most of you have seen this frame.  It has the only metal point I have found, and some glass beads, as well as a couple casts of other points.  I also found the buttons and the cowry shell bead.

Comment

It is a good idea for a proto-Historic thread, and that is a cool frame there.
        I collect proto-Historic materials such as beads, but here in the East they are rare as hen's teeth. By the time there was much trade, most of the natives were dead or gone. We had traders through NC from the 1660s on, but we almost never find any kind of trade goods. However, we find colonial items such as gun parts, buttons, coins, etc., that were never used by any natives here. These same items further west might have been native used, or not, depending on the site.

Comment

My apologies Tom, I didn't even see the post. I agree with you, Cliff and Tyson, would be interesting. Myself, I've got an 1872 penny, an old spike and maybe a bead, transitional? not, but we all find and pick up the odd, unusual or out of place item! I'll bet many of us have found transitional pieces.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

All from one habitation site that saw action from Paleo to Today, but was especially known for Woodland through Spanish, the Seminole Wars, Civil War.  Lots of musket balls of several caliber, including pistols.
            Our real Transition Period here is awful.  Jackson rounded up Seminoles and Mikasukees as well as black indians from all over W and SW FL and jailed 'em up at Egmont Key at the mouth of Tampa Bay, before shipping the last ones out, though the Seminoles were never truly defeated by any army.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Missouri Mule wrote:

One category that might be of interest to some of you – call it “transitional artifacts –
                I agree that it would be nice have a category for Indian artifacts utilized from about 1600 to the 1870s. I want to add that the 1870s artifacts refers to those of the Plains tribes.
              What you are referring to as transitional artifacts would fall into the categories mentioned by paleolution and Cliff, trade era and/or proto-historic era. I too find the artifacts of this time period to be very interesting, especially seeing how the Indians adapted to metal and how they recycled trade items.
              Considering this window in time only lasted about 250 years (Plains -and- Midwest) it actually makes these artifacts relatively rarer than most people realize.  Unlike the stone used for points and knives for many thousands of years by prehistoric Americans any weapons or tools which were made of iron during this 250 year period will eventually oxidize and disintegrate. 
              11KBP

Comment

I thank you all for your replies.  The items in the picture are from the same field my daughter found the point two weeks ago and I found a pendant today.  The light blue piece of glass has a “6” crudely embossed on it.  The purple glass piece is an inch thick and is an octagon shape.  The iron hook is hand forged.  The last two pieces are from a crock.  Given their approximate age (1875-1900) I doubt they were left by Native Americans, though they are quite interesting.  My daughter found a porcelain button there today, quite a nice find. 

Comment

Interesting thread. I have hunted my area for 30 years and I haven't found a thing that would be transitional, that being something European made used by Natives. As MoMule said Native Americans were moved west, a good date would be by 1835, and European items just aren't found here from that time. The first permanent building built in my county was 1806. Mule, your stoneware is Salt Glaze, made is the mid to late 1800's. I love seeing what is out there!
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks for replying.  It seems that no matter where I hunt, whether it be for turkeys or artifacts, I find stoneware shards in the fields I walk.  Is there a website I can go to to get a little educated on stoneware, so I can have some idea what these shards are and how old. Thanks

Comment

Missouri Mule wrote:

Thanks for replying.  It seems that no matter where I hunt, whether it be for turkeys or artifacts, I find stoneware shards in the fields I walk.  Is there a website I can go to to get a little educated on stoneware, so I can have some idea what these shards are and how old. Thanks
                        Sorry i don't have a specific website for you, just google Salt Glaze stoneware. Stone wear was regional in the 1800's. Some of the earliest was Redware, going back to Colonial time. Salt glaze can go back as far as 1840's and made into the 1900's.
                      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I'm glad this thread was started being new I had no idea why I was finding all of this porcelain shards in the same area I was finding Native American tools, pottery, and points. I thought perhaps it was a homestead on top of an Native American site.
                        I have probably found 200 hundred porcelain shards with all kinds of ancient tools.
                        Quick question has anyone found areas of red almost brick looking rock in with all of this other stuff. I have it at two different sites I'm working?
                        Thanks, Jim

Comment

I wanted to share my newest additions to my trade era frame.  I did some trading of my own, and acquired the catlinite pipe, the lance, four metal points, a couple brass beads, the awl, and a mystery grooved tool out of hematite, the clay marbles, and the glass trade beads.  This is my new favorite frame, I just love the range of artifacts associated with the trade era. 

Comment

My Dad found a hoe in a creek here in east MO. Thing is this runoff started in the woods and there was no house along it. Cousin probably stole it for $0.05 cents in scrap though. It was something like these.

Pretty chewed up though. http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.50133...h=177&c=7&rs=1
                            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies, which do lead to more questions for me.  Nearly all of the fields where I find these potsherds -and- various glass and handmade iron pieces show no signs of homesteads or farms.  Nonetheless, my area was homesteaded in the early 1800's so I wonder if many of these items come from these pioneering folks whose wood cabins and crude buildings have long disappeared? Otherwise, how did these items end up scattered all over these fields . . . did earlier farmers just dump them there?  It's not hard to find early dumps in ravines, but why in the middle of prime fields?

Comment

Working...
                              X