Thebes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thebes

From the Early Archaic period dating from 8000 to 6000 B.C. Common across Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Michigan and have been found in Pennsylvania and southwest Virginia.
    Examples of the type by our members:

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Thebes

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thebes
      Posted by [rmartin]

Here's some of my better Thebes. This type is named for Thebes, Illinois and are in the 7500B.C. range. The longest is 4 inches and all are personal finds

Click image for larger version

Name:	myartifacts028.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	196487

Here's another Click image for larger version

Name:	myartifacts218.jpg
ID:	196485

Posted by [gregszybala]
      Here is the only one I have managed to find and it is broke.

Name:	DSC_0072.jpg
ID:	196479

Posted by [rmartin]
      Thebes are heavy duty knives. Thanks for sharing yours. On a side note, I had the oppurtunity to visist the Twin Ditch site near Kampsville, Il. during the working dig. The day before I was there they found Dovetail and Thebes in context together for the first time. . They aso found the oldest postmold in the US at the time. They were if I recall, 17 feet below the surface at the edge of a prehistoric lake. Oh yeah, heres one I forgot, a Thebes drill form

Name:	Copyofmyartifacts091.jpg
ID:	196480

Posted by [turkeytail]
      This is the only one I have.

Name:	100_0524.jpg
ID:	196481

Name:	100_0525.jpg
ID:	196482

Here is a S. Michigan Thebes Im still kicking myself in the adze for selling. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0282.jpg
ID:	196483

Posted by [rmartin]
      Mark, that is a real nice one! That is what? Around 3 inches. First stage, that have been at lot longer.

Posted by [turkeytail]
      It was about 2 3/4..several resharpenings! Was probably 2 inchs longer. Cass co Mi., Down towards your state.

Thebes E Notch
      Posted by [Weepingeyegorget]
      Okay, the Enotch has to be one of my favorite forms, in my region... Most are Ohio and one TN example.

Name:	enotch.jpg
ID:	196484

The bottom left one is really nice.. has a little tiny bit of the tip restored, made of coshocton.. The rest I believe are flintridge, except the TN. example which I believe is Ft. Payne.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
      X