Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decatur

Early archaic period, +- 7500-7000 B.C.
    Trianguloid and corner notched, the basal edge flattened by the use of a burin flaking technique. Serrations and or alternate beveling of the blade edges occur in resharpening.
    "Another in the series of my show and tell. The pic ( actually a flatbed scan) is a Decatur point that I found in the Decatur, AL area which is the namesake for the type (named by James Cambron in 1957). This particular point is unusual in that it is shorter than the minimum length given for this point in ID keys. And for that matter, it is shorter than the smallest one Cambron used in the group he had to measure when he originally described the point. This point as you can see is only 7/8 in. long and it is a perfect example of a Decatur, but in miniature form. It is 1/8 in. thick. And this piece represents very well the problem we have when we try to correctly identify points when all we have to go on is a photo. I would have a hard time telling what it is if I did not have it in hand. The distinguishing criteria for the point are all there (even the very finely struck basal corners which is diagnostic of Decatur points) except it is very hard to see in a photo due to its small size."

The two below, Carter Cave chert:

Information about first photo and photo provided by SailorJoe
    Information about 2nd photo and photo provided by Kyflintguy
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan
Working...
X