Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waco Sinkers

Waco Sinkers - Form & Use

These artefacts were first properly described in 1935 by H.G. Moore from a site in Central Texas. They were found as a “group”, although not a cache and are now known to be generally associated with camps. The term “Waco Sinker” was assigned by Frank Watt in 1938 in a paper which attempted to classify them by form, using 536 specimens from a single site.

Watt coined the term because they were initially found in a very limited area adjacent to the Brazos River near Waco, Texas – the homeland of the Tawakoni (later known as the Wacoes) and because they resembled modern day fishing sinkers... but not because of any proven association with fishing. Watt however noted that the Tawakoni were not necessarily the makers of the artefacts: “some sinker camps are not Tawakoni sites and some Tawakoni sites are not sinker camps.”

The provenience within camps (when undisturbed) is usually the first or second terrace where the camp is located. Watt had noted that: “The absence of pottery or sherds in the sinker camps... places them definitely in a pre-pottery horizon.” Typically they are associated with points and tool forms from the Palaeo-Early Archaic period. Finds at the McFaddin Beach site were associated with Palaeo points (notably Eastern and Western Clovis types). At the Gault site they were associated with early Archaic artefacts (notably Clear Fork tools, Angosturas and Hoxies). At the Wilson-Leonard site they were associated with Golondrina and Plainview points and carbon-dating of associated remains yielded a date of 9650-8000 B.P. (Dial et al. 1994).

Subsequent discoveries indicate a much wider distribution – as far south as Atascosa and McMullen Counties (McReynolds, 1981) and also close to the Mexico border in Dimmit and Willacy Counties (Hester et al, 1978). The “sinker” classification was reinforced because initial examples were found close to water (but that’s true of most camps). Generally, the fact that they are less usually found in river-beds and creeks tends to undermine that.

Possible use as charms is not supported by the frequency or distribution of finds and they are also not usually found in burials. The bolo explanation has recently gained ground as the most plausible use – perhaps as a five-stone rig for catching waterfowl. The Brazos River would likely have been much shallower and broader than today… a wetland environment with aquatic grasses and reeds where riverine fauna could have been rich for exploitation (Waters and Nordt, 1995). “Because of the amount of work involved on the 'sinker,' it is difficult to imagine any use other than a personalized Bolo.” (Long, 1977).

There are variations in form and it was initially believed that examples with notches all the way round were bolo stones and those with notched ends or sides were used on nets. Since many examples were found on the Blackland Prairie (including isolated finds), it was assumed that they might have been used on land nets rather than fishing nets, with animals being driven into strategic locations where the weighted nets were stretched to trap and entangle them. Typical specimens are rectangular, ovoid or round and flaked/pecked, with abraded/ground notches at each end of the rectangular stones and opposite each other on the round or ovoid stones. Unlike true bola stones (as far as current knowledge goes), the grooves do not usually encircle the stones but are notched only.

Subsequently, some “potbellied” examples have been found which are both notched on the ends and grooved all the way round, such that they could perhaps have been used in either manner depending on the need at the time. Since “repaired” examples have also been found in groups, plus groups that look as if they were possibly awaiting repair, it’s clear that they were subjected to a certain amount of “rough and tumble” and were sufficiently cared for to ensure re-use.

Over-hunting or changes in the environment and consequent adaptations to hunting practices may explain why they disappear as artefacts in the archaeological record around 7,000 years ago.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Waco Sinkers
    Dr. Charles L. Boyd, College Station, Texas
    Originally Published in the Central States Archaeological Journal, Vol.53, No.2, pg.71

Click image for larger version

Name:	waco1.jpg
Views:	1619
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	195400

A group of unique artifacts were found in central Texas by members of the Central Texas Archaeological Society in the early 1930's. H.G. Moore published a paper, A Sinker Factory Site in the Central Texas Archaeological Society Bulletin No.1, 1935. The name Waco Sinkers was given to these artifacts by Frank Watt who published a scientific paper describing them to specific types (Watt-1938 CTAS Bulletin No. 4). 536 specimens were located on this site. Fewer numbers have been found at camp sites in our counties in central Texas between the Brazos and the Trinity Rivers. The author has documented two thousand and sixty-eight specimens in various collections in this area.

These artifacts are associated with those points and tool forms from the Paleo­Early Archaic period. The material from which they are produced is primarily quartzite, quartz and sandstone. Specimens of hematite are rare.

The colors are creamy white, purple and reddish black.

The shape of the majority of these specimens is rectangular, ovoid or round. Pecked and ground notches are found at each end of the rectangular stones and are opposite each other on the round or ovoid stones. Grooves do not circle the stones as in true bola stone forms. True Waco sinkers are notched only.

The provenience is usually the first or second terrace where the camp site is located. One collector of a large number alleges that all his sinkers came from creek beds. All other collectors indicate upper terraces. One hundred and fifty nine specimens were found by three collectors at a gravel processing plant. (Nolan-1986)

The manufacturing technology involves either abrasion or flaking and abrasion.

Used by permission of the publisher
    To learn more about or to join the Central States Archaeological Society, click here: www.csasi.org/
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

The Waco Sinker: A Texas Enigma
      Walter Williams, Eastland, Texas
      Originally published in the Central States Archaeological Journal, Vol.52, No.1, p.8

Name:	ww.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	195402

I have often noticed as guests come into my house and observe a few artifacts that are displayed, how they usually comment on my "nice collection" and then begin to tell about a relative that also has a collection. They display a passing interest and then we move on to the purpose of the visit. On the other hand, let a fellow collector observe the same displayed artifacts and he wants to talk in detail about particular pieces. The collector is not content to just observe, but will want to open the case - inspect, touch, even smell the artifact. The avocational archeologist has an intrinsic interest in knowing who, what, when, where and why the artifact was manufactured. Due to the number of avocational and professional archeologists and their intrinsic curiosity, few artifacts maintain their mystery for long. One of the exceptions is a ground stone artifact commonly referred to as the Waco Sinker.

One of the earliest papers on this unique artifact (Watt, 1938), referred to them as Waco Sinkers because they were initially found in a very limited area adjacent to the Brazos River near Waco, Texas. Because this area was once the home of the Tawakoni, later called Wacoes, and because the relic also looks somewhat similar to modern day fishing sinkers, the name stuck. Also worth noting is that Watt made the connection that the Wacoe people were not necessarily the makers of the artifact by stating, "some sinker camps are not Tawakoni sites and some Tawakoni sites are not sinker camps." The Sinkers are often found in camps; one camp noted by H. G. Moore in 1935 yielded 536 examples (Moore, 1935).

Time and additional discoveries have shown that the distribution of Waco Sinkers is much greater than originally thought, some being found as far south as Atascosa and McMullen Counties (McReynolds, 1981). They have also been found close to the border with Mexico in Dimmit and Willacy Counties (Hester et al, 1978).

Coastal waterways are of increasing interest to archaeologists because of the number of Early Man sites being discovered and the cultural clues left in stone by the people that lived in these areas. The McFaddin Beach site washed out large numbers of Paleo points, most notably both Eastern and Western Clovis type points. Plummets and Waco Sinkers have also been found eroding from the beach. This would tend to indicate a very early age for the Waco Sinker, quite possibly Paleo. The Gault Site is known for the "abso­lutely consistent stratigraphic sequence." Of particular note is a zone with nothing but early Archaic artifacts, specifically Clear Fork tools, Angostura, Hoxie and, of course, the Waco Sinker. Watt noted that "The absence of pottery or sherds in the sinker camps... places them definitely in a pre-pottery horizon." The Wilson-Leonard site in Williamson County, which would be considered part of the core area of distribution, Carbon 14 dated four examples at 9650-8000 B.P. and was associated with Golondrina and Plainview points (Dial et al. 1994). Certainly, the Waco Sinker was an important tool for people who were making the transition from a purely migratory lifestyle to a more settled or seasonal one.

Some examples are rather simple in manufacture. Others required many hours of pecking, grinding and polishing to obtain a finished tool (see first and second from left, in figure 1). The enigma surrounding the Waco Sinker is determining purpose. For many years, the sinker idea dominated because initially, they were found close to water. The problem is, most Indian camps are also found near water. So, one could easily place too much emphasis on a fishing use. In addition, if used as fishing line weights or fastened to nets, more Waco Sinkers should be found in riverbeds and creeks.

A bolo concept has more recently been accepted. The Poverty Point site in Louisiana has provided many examples of plummets that are broken in the field and brought back to camp where the drilled ends were regularly replaced. Used for water­fowl, it is believed the plummets were part of a bolo rig. The five stone rig was very effective, and the transition from drilled to notched stones was a geographic and material modification. Since hunting was a lifetime skill and the same tools were often used for years or until they broke, great pride was often taken in their manufacture. According to Russell Long, "Because of the amount of work involved on the 'sinker,' it is difficult to imagine any use other than a personalized Bolo." (Long, 1977)

Some have suggested use as a charm for the more notable examples, but this seems unlikely because of their frequency, spatial patterning, and the fact that they have not been found in burials. Many are isolated finds on flat surfaces of the Blackland Prairie. This would suggest they were lost individually, which could indicate use in a net, but a land net rather than a fishing tool. Originally, it was believed that the sinkers with notches all the way around the artifacts were bolos, the examples with notched ends, but not around the entire artifact, were used on nets. Today, several "Potbellied Sinkers" have been found that are both notched on the ends and grooved all the way around the artifact. This might indicate a use in either manner depending upon the need on a particular day (see figure 2). Robert Talley, a Texas collector, believes hunting groups would come together, each bringing a net that was then fashioned together forming a very long tool that could stretch a couple hundred yards. Controlled fires or animal drives forced the animals into the nets placed in strategic locations. The sinkers maintained the net near the ground after the animal was entangled. After the kill, the nets were then returned to the family groups and to facilitate transportation, the sinkers were removed from the nets.

Avocational collectors must always keep in mind that the environment today, may not be what was prevalent at a given point in the past. The climate 9000 BC in Central Texas was more similar to what Kansas is like today. The Brazos River would not have been cut as deeply and would have been much broader than at present, creating a short-grass, wetland environment that provided the possibility for the exploitation of riverine fauna (Waters and Nordt, 1995).

Name:	ww2.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	195403

Waco Sinkers are usually more or less the same weight and size. This leads some to believe they were used as part of a hunting tool at the end of the Holocene to trap a particular type of animal. When the animal disappeared with the changing environment and possibly because of excessive hunting practices, so did the need for the Wako Sinker. This would explain why, at least in some areas, they disappear from the archaeological record about 7000 years ago. The Waco Sinker is an enigma, perplexing but captivating. We will probably never have all of the answers, but each documented example allows us to ask the right questions which will finally and ultimately lead to a better understanding of this wonderful Texas relic.

Used by permission of the publisher
      To learn more about or to join the Central States Archaeological Society, click here: www.csasi.org/

Comment

Posted by [indianasmith]

I enjoyed hunting with Gary this morning, and he brought the killer Waco Sinker he found a couple weeks back over for me to look at. I got to hold it and take pictures; it may be the best sinker I have ever seen! The material is very heavy and smooth; I am thinking some form of hematite.

Name:	28July12RiverHunt007.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	195405 Click image for larger version

Name:	28July12RiverHunt008.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	195406 Click image for larger version

Name:	28July12RiverHunt009.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	195407

I still can't believe a piece this good came out of the river!

Comment

Posted by [Dallred]

Awesome Waco Sinker! Material is unique. I have only seen one Waco, which my friend found while we were hunting a dry lake in Central Oreogn. See pic, sorry for no size reference - he took pic. It is about same size as the black one above, and I believe is made of granite. Thanks!

Name:	WacoSinker.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	195409

Comment

Posted by [Claycad]

Bolo Ball AKA Waco Sinker
            Normally made of quartz, use in fishing nets

Name:	image_8093.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	195412

Personal find from Clay Caldwell

Comment

Working...
            X