• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictorial Record of Native American Life

Images of Native Americans
    The Bancroft Library

(Introduction from [painshill])
    The Bancroft Library has on on-line digital repository of “Images of Native Americans” relating principally to the history of California and the American West. It includes original photographs, stereographs, lantern slides, and cyanotype images of Native Americans as seen by early settlers/immigrants, as well as more modern perceptions provided from newspapers, pulp magazines and from popular culture.

A special section is devoted to James Otto Lewis' Aboriginal Portfolio, the first color plate book with images of American Indians published in the United States.

The link to the library is here:

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Ledger Art

Posted by [Olden]
    How, through their ledgers, the natives of the Plains saw themselves:
    PILA facilitates the digitization of the unique genre of Plains drawing on paper during the 1860-1900s for preservation, research, and public access. The project is located in the Department of Ethnic Studies at UC San Diego.

(Addition from [painshill])
    “Ledger art” is a term for Plains Indian narrative drawing or painting on paper or cloth. Ledger art flourished primarily from the 1860s to the 1920s and the term comes from the accounting ledger books that were a common source of paper for Plains Indians during the late 19th century.

More details in the Wiki entry here:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
    X