Question for River Artifact Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for River Artifact Hunters

I hunt along a large river... I generally search at the top of the river rock beach where the tides/waves reach and wash up debris, sticks, etc.At that spot, the smallest of rocks and pebbles pile up along the entire beach. I find many small triangle points, flake tools, debitage, etc. but I don't really find many "big" points. By big, I mean over 2 to 3"+ ... So every now and then, I'll walk the rest of the beach, where the bigger rock (from a few inches to softball size) cobble is... but I never find anything. I assume, this is because most of it washes up to the small gravel with the tides/waves. Now, I know bigger points can be found at this spot... I've seen some in person and in photos... so why can't I find them? Any tips on where to search? Are the down with the bigger rocks or can I expect to find them at the top with the pebbles? Yes, I realize, all points can be found at all places on the beach, but I'm just wondering if you guys have found a pattern or anything.

Yes. I found a pattern.when I find them I find them lol.

Comment

I have found large points on river gravel bars. As you said you can find a point anywhere, but some gravel bars just are better producers, I assume that is because they are downriver from a campsite, we have free access to the river but most of the adjoining land where the campsite could have been is private so there is no access.

Comment

Sounds like they are hiding from You. Maybe this spring luck will change!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Are you hunting a fresh water or tidal river? I hunt tidal rivers where narrow beaches, more like sandy swales, wash all sorts of detritus in a narrow swath from mid to high tide marks. Larger points seem to settle just at or above high tide. I've never found one in the swash.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Thanks for the replies... I hunt a fresh water river that borders a known camp (I have access to the camp area too, but have more luck along the river.) Essentially, what I was getting at, everything I find is at the high tide line... but I rarely find "big" points when I know there are plenty of big points there. I was wondering if big points might settle in with the larger rocks whereas the small points settle in with the smaller rocks. Again, I realize they can be virtually anywhere... I am just wondering if anyone has found any kind of pattern. I basically gave up hunting anywhere but at the high tide line in the little pebbles... that's where I find everything.

Comment

Well, since you're hunting a fresh water river, technically you don't have tides but fluctuations in water levels due to rain, snow melt and/or dam releases. The larger points tend to wash up higher than the smaller ones who tend to wash back towards the water. In my experience in salt water, the small ones often land face up? Making them easier to spot. Large ones tend to lodge sideways. But that's just my experience.
              Child of the tides

Comment

Ah! So your major river is fresh where you are hunting but brackish further down stream? Then our scenarios are similar. I have a friend who hunts for mainly LeCroix arrowheads below an ancient campsite on the Rappahannock River. He often finds these small points in the shallows at low tide, as opposed to the high tide mark.
              Child of the tides

Comment

Interesting... Because I observe the opposite... Haha. I never find anything by the "low tide line." Maybe there really is not rhyme or reason as to where they end up.

Comment

• toccopola
                  toccopola commented
                  Editing a comment
                  if the soil is silty or very soft below the drift line the heaver stuff could be sinking out of sight, or some one else is getting there first and doing a good cleaning job.
              Working...
              X