Field Hunting Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Hunting Questions

Up to this point all of my hunting has been done where either moving water (like a river or stream) or where runoff carries the soil and sand away leaving rocks, gravel and artifacts behind. I made a very short attempt at a field hunt the other day and found plenty of evidence that leads me to believe that I will find things there when I have more time to devote to a full-on hunt. Because all of my success has come within very close proximity to water, I am hyper-focused on areas adjacent to water--this field flanks a small river. But I wanted to ask all of you that are more experienced than I am, how important is water to your own hunting grounds? Are you having success in fields and other areas that aren't close to streams, ponds... etc?

Also, when there is no obvious dwelling attached to a field that you would like to access, what are some ways you go about finding out who owns the land?

And finally, do you assume that land without 'No Trespassing' signs is fair game? (This sounds like an obvious question, but I had to ask)

Water is very important but doesn't have to be immediately adjacent to the field. I have a couple of fields I walk where the water is an 1/8 to a 1/4 mile away. A couple of sandy knolls that at one time were surrounded by water. You also have to keep in mind that even though no water now, there may have been water there a 1000, 5000, or 10,000 years ago. In my area I am always on the lookout for higher well drained soils that appear to be or have been within an easy distance to water.

To find owners of land, I've knocked on neighbors doors. I also have picked up plat books that have maps of each township showing sections, streams and rivers and who owns what parcels. Our county and a few others also have an online map much like google earth that you can click on what looks like a likely parcel and it gives you the owners name. Here is a link to the site I use, your area may use a different provider.
    Online access to maps, real estate data, tax information, and appraisal data.

Never trespass, get permission. Much easier to be on friendly terms and this even helps. The more names I can drop of locals who let me hunt the more likely folks will let you. Also you won't have to be constantly looking over your shoulder, hard to look for artifacts that way.
    Last edited by gregszybala; 12-23-2016, 06:44 AM.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Water was absolutely critical to past civilizations from Mesopotamia to Mississippian. Greg is right on about the lack of water now and the presence of it thousands of years ago especially in the Midwest where he and I both search. Many sloughs/swamps and marshes were drained, turned and planted. Google the Grand Kankakee Marsh for an example of that. I have a couple places that I have found points that are a distance from water. One that I came to find out from doing some local research was in fact a large marsh until around the 1850s when the area was settled another is a backwater of the local river and I found that by using google earth.

As Greg stated always get permission. Most farmers/landowners will grant it if you are just picking up rocks as that's how they see artifacts. Assure them you will leave nothing but footprints on their land and usually its a go...good searching my friend...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Thanks guys, that's very helpful and it helps cross quite a few potential targets off the map. For now I'll focus on land adjacent to water.

The funny thing is, I have my eyes on so many properties that I doubt I would be able to walk them all in a lifetime... time to narrow the scope I guess.

Comment

Another often overlooked resource, Greg pointed out the internet, is google earth. You can google the area that you're interested in and view the topographical map or natural terrain and get a good idea of areas to search. The topography will give you a really good idea as to where water was. For example google earth will show the creek in my area, as well as the river and it also shows quite a few areas where really old creek beds are but have had no water in them in recent memory. I've used google earth and spotted a couple of areas I'm gonna check out on my next hunt. Also, as has been pointed out, always get permission. I have permission to hunt all the areas that I walk in and you might point out to those you ask permission from that you are not digging you are searching only the surface. I know of several property owners who will specifically ask you about digging because they know of NA burial sites on their property and will not allow digging. When you're asking permission, many property owners, such as the ones that I have here on the mountain, will share info regarding finds on their property. My closest neighbor gave me points that his kids had found and took me down to the locations where they were found. He also keeps an eye out when he's plowing the field or bulldozing trees. He's brought me several nice artifacts. Just some more food for thought. ...Chuck
          Last edited by Scorpion68; 12-23-2016, 10:34 AM.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

My favorite field (some produce much more) is on a big ridge/hill and over 1/2 mile from either creek. Only place I found definite Early Paleo/Clovis.

Oh, and about the fair game/no signs. That is risky!
            Last edited by JoshinMO; 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

A lot of great advice guys.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I should have been a little more clear on my last question, I would never blatantly trespass like that, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking some unspoken code. lol

Scorpion - Google Earth has been one of my favorite tools for finding fishing spots and access to them since it came out, and I have been using it quite a bit to look for places to hunt artifacts. However, it never occurred to me to look for evidence of ancient creeks, that's great advice.

And I really appreciate all of the finer points of obtaining access you are all passing along. Knowing what to say to allay digging concerns, the possible value of what's being found, name-dropping... I feel like I'm sitting through an AP course on Point Hunting...

This is great stuff, thank you guys and keep it coming!!

Comment

It is different depending on location in the country, but water is key. In the mid west Rivers where a creek meet is pretty safe to assume a campsite would be present. The great basin region like Nevada the edges of dry lakes you will find campsites. Where I hunt springs are the best place to look for campsites usually within a quarter mile on high ground. And when I hunt in the Juniper trees then its a southeast exposure but water does not have to be present for they are winter camps and the snow fall provides a source of water..... On a side note I have walked many miles and have come up empty handed I just say to myself I now know where not to hunt.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Chase - One thing I have noticed locally is that all of the locations I have had success so far are on flat-topped ridges with eastern exposure. Interesting that you listed SE exposure as a defining factor. As sure as I am that it makes a difference here, I am always cautious to try and declare a pattern until I can test it over and over... I have six locations that have produced and they all face due east or southeast...

UPDATE: After reading this post throughout the day, I went back to the field I have permission to hunt--another due east facing slope, with several high spots. And I found a single triangle point... with damage on every corner... damned plow. The flakes were intriguing enough, but now that I have scored - however small it was - in a field hunt, it is officially game on.

Had a blast with the little one chasing wild turkeys and watching squadrons of geese coming in to land. I was pretty damned proud when she pointed out a set of deer tracks and said they looked like a "mama deer" and she was right.

Sorry no pic of the point, I haven't had time...

Comment

Working...
                    X