X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from California Too

Hello from California Too
    Posted by [Poeticus]:

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2014 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

I'm also am a new member from California. I have a number of points that I acquired from ranchers and farmers along the full length of Baja California. Some I found myself in situ at chipping sites, also in Baja. I know very little about the points themselves and would appreciate help identifying and dating them. I have a very old hand ax, or scraper, bird points and spear points as well as arrow points. I don't like the way this site receives attachments. I have many more to share but no apparent room.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	219459

Name:	IMAG0011.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	219460

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	219461

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	219462

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	219463

Name:	IMAG0017.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	219464

Name:	IMAG0003.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	219465

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	219466

Posted by [Poeticus]:
    I am sorry, it is going to take some time for me to get familiar with this site and how it works. Some of my pictures came through but not the text. I acquired these points from Baja California. I know nothing about them or how old they are. I am not sure what kind of stone they are other than basalt, quarts and flint. Maybe some volcanic glass. Any help???
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [Poeticus]:
    Here are a couple of more pictures.

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	219468

Name:	IMAG0008.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	219469

Name:	IMAG0019.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	219470

Name:	IMAG0020.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	219471

Name:	IMAG0021_2014-03-24.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	219472

Name:	IMAG0004.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	219473

Name:	IMAG0006.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	219474

Posted by [gregszybala]:
    Welcome Christopher! Some nice pieces and quite an introduction! Look forward to see more of your finds.
    Hope you don't mind, I moved your post into your own thread in the welcome area, so both you and Brujo will get your own replies.

Posted by [CMD ]:
    :welcome: from Rhode Island. Don't know if we have anybody here up on point types from Baja, but nice stuff and thanks for posting!

Posted by [Hoss ]:
    Welcome to Arrowheads.com from East Tennessee Christopher. :welcome:

Posted by [JoshinMO]:
    :welcome: Thanks for sharing pics!

Posted by [Bone2stone]:
    Couple of ohh ahhs in there.
    That shark tooth got me going though... B)
    Nice, take some more pics and put it in the fossils thread.
    Welcome.
    Jess B.

Posted by [Dallred]:
    Welcome from the Wild West!
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I am very curious about the one large broken red lava, basalt(I think basalt) tip. It is bi-facial, extremely thin, large and very finely made. Could it be the remains of a "Clovis point? There appears to be some "Overshot flaking" going on . Below it , the small "red glass" piece could be a "needle scraper", also "Clovis"?

Comment

May have to repost those particular finds you have questions on to get more and accurate responses. Interesting finds you made there!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Poeticus
          Poeticus commented
          Editing a comment
          Who is the onsite Geologist? I would like to I.D. the types of material these points are made of. The brownish beige point w/ black speckles next to the red, possible Clovis, point may also be "Clovis". Very thin and high quality workmanship.

• Kyflintguy
          Kyflintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          You may have to repost these or give this thread bump back to the top if your looking for more answers Poeticus. You can do that by making a new reply to this post which pushes it back to recent topics page were it will be seen again.

Are there any experts in point technology on this site for Baja California, MX.? I have displayed numerous photo's on this site but have no responses. I am looking for feedback on types and or heritage of the points.

Comment

........asks the guy that joined 4 years ago, didn't fill out a profile and posted three times. We'll be glad to help if we can. Make a new post please.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Man, you have some fantastic specimen there.👍
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

The uni-facial hand axe is the most curious of them all and probably the oldest. Does anyone have any input about it?

Comment

I have been looking for the resident expert on Baja California Palio- artifacts for years now with no success. Help.

Comment

The uni-facial oval hand axe with the thumb hold is most curious to me. It seems to be much older than any of the rest. Possibly basalt. Help, anyone?

Comment

Hi there,

The sharks tooth is the oldest thing there, cool piece!

I've spent a lot of time on mainland side of the Sea of Cortez, but handled lots of points from the Baja.

I don't see any positively Paleo relics in your grouping, but a couple of Paleo-maybes. Forgive the artwork, but these look like paleo scatter from mainland Mexico. The crudely drawn arrow points at what looks like an overshot-outrepasse flake. All could just be archaic and later lithic scatter as well, but from the pictures the rest is almost certainly not paleo. These are maybes.

You have a couple of stubby rounded base points that occasionally people clump into the Western Stemmed Tradition from California and other Western States (Silverlake points), but I've never seen any evidence of them further south than the Mojave desert. Lake Mojave points from the same cluster have been reported around Mexicali and northern Sonora, mostly small dry lakebeds, not coastal as I understand it.

Name:	AA3116B0-7D54-4B7B-B96F-1743DFBF6619.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	682921
                    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                    X