Hello from Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Kentucky

I am looking forward to learning a great deal about my newest obsessive hobby. I am a metal detector enthusiast and have truly enjoyed it for the last 15 years or so. It was on one of these hunts about 8 years ago I found an Indian Arrowhead in a bottom near the Ohio River. I thought it was great but put it away in a drawer at home and that's where it stayed till about 2 months ago. I was cleaning out my drawer and found it again. I started doing some research on American Indians and it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks. I was the first human to touch that arrowhead for hundreds maybe thousands of years. I am now hooked bad!!!! I have spent the last month researching the Indian Culture and devouring Indian Artifact hunts on YouTube. So without a doubt I will be hitting the rivers close to my home soon and I know I will always be in awe at every find I discover. Thank you for the great website you have created and thank you for allowing me to join!

Welcome to the forum from east Tn!

I couldn't help but smile hearing your enthusiasm and excitement for this epiphany you've had when you rediscovered an old find. You've came to the right place to learn, share and enjoy the fellowship of other collectors/enthusiast. Glad to have you on board!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• DR Mayes
      DR Mayes commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Josh and I am looking forward to learning all I can. I can't explain the feeling that hit me, just awe and respect I suppose. And definitely excitement !!

• Kyflintguy
      Kyflintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! Prehistoric America is infinitely fascinating! Welcome to the addiction!

Not sure what my find was so many years ago but to me it is fantastic!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSCN0886.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	233339

Comment

That's gorgeous Doc! I know what it is and what its made from, but I almost just don't want to spoil it for you (figuring it out is as fun as finding it to me)... Have you had any luck figuring it out yet? We have some good resources here on this site in the information center.
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Not yet Josh. I am just getting the beginning concept of types and time frames but what a exciting journey so far.

Welcome to the forum Doc.
      From one detectorist to another this Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22629.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	233376
      will definitely get your juices flowing in another direction. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_223.gif
Views:	192
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	233377

Check out our metal detecting section and show us some of your finds.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Bruce and I definitely will check it out!!

Welcome Doc and you may not know what your getting yourself into! Like you, the thrill of finding and being the first to hold that artifact after 100's or 1000's of years amazes me every time.
      You'll find a lot of help here so ask away when your a bit stumped. Like Josh, I also know what you have there and I'm not giving it away either. I will share this with you, it is not hundreds of years old. it is thousands of years old and a very nice first find.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you gregszybala and WOW on the age!!! Great site here and the questions will come for sure.

Originally posted by DR Mayes View Post
      I am looking forward to learning a great deal about my newest obsessive hobby. I am a metal detector enthusiast and have truly enjoyed it for the last 15 years or so. It was on one of these hunts about 8 years ago I found an Indian Arrowhead in a bottom near the Ohio River. I thought it was great but put it away in a drawer at home and that's where it stayed till about 2 months ago. I was cleaning out my drawer and found it again. I started doing some research on American Indians and it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks. I was the first human to touch that arrowhead for hundreds maybe thousands of years. I am now hooked bad!!!! I have spent the last month researching the Indian Culture and devouring Indian Artifact hunts on YouTube. So without a doubt I will be hitting the rivers close to my home soon and I know I will always be in awe at every find I discover. Thank you for the great website you have created and thank you for allowing me to join!
      Man, I think we might be kindred spirits. Your last few months sound like mine. And coming to the realization that I was the first person to handle the stuff I've found in more than 1000 years really blew my mind as well. Too bad we live so far apart, I think it would be fun to have another newb to learn with.

That's one heck of a first find too!

Best of luck to you Dr. Mayes

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be fantastic for sure Looks2Much. Looking forward to learning from all here and it seems overwhelming right now but it is so fascinating just to do the research. Can't wait to actually get out on the hunt . Have a great day!!!

Originally posted by Looks2Much View Post

Man, I think we might be kindred spirits. Your last few months sound like mine. And coming to the realization that I was the first person to handle the stuff I've found in more than 1000 years really blew my mind as well. Too bad we live so far apart, I think it would be fun to have another newb to learn with.

That's one heck of a first find too!

Best of luck to you Dr. Mayes
      ​I'm pretty sure that is the reason for most of us. Its a quest...an unquenchable thirst...you two have taken your first steps into a hopeless addiction that will forever consume you and I congratulate you on that...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you BabaORiley and I think you are so right!

• Looks2Much
        Looks2Much commented
        Editing a comment
        Like I need another obsession 😍

Yeah, it started off as just wanting to find one. But once I realized that most finds are not random, and that there was likely an ancient encampment in the area, my head exploded. And now I'm putting in ridiculous time trying to learn more, find new locations... I love it.

(I wish I could be this obsessed with making millions of dollars)

Welcome from Tennessee. Spectacular first find. What part of Kentucky are you from?

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you CoachG. I live in Northern Ky close enough to the Ohio and Licking rivers to drive there and still have plenty of time to hunt!!

Welcome! Your Story starts off very similar to mine a i also had a point in a drawer for years before pulling it out again and becoming "interested" in Native American Artifacts and History. I have an idea what type that is also, mine (avatar) came from the same cluter as it's called. Posssibly Early Archaic, heh
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you JoshinMO. That sure is a nice looking point!!!!!!

Welcome aboard from sothwestern southern Ontario Dr. Mayes.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful artifact. It's a great find.

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Hi-Lo. I appreciate that very much!!

Welcome from SE VA & NC Outer Banks. We can all tell by your enthusiastic posts that you've been bitten hard! My first find was 3 years ago & I remember standing there awe struck! Who made it, where did it originally come from, and what was it made of??? I came to this site and everyone has been so supportive & helpful. You are in for a wild ride!
      --Deb
      Child of the tides

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Havenhunter and yes definitely bitten! Just wondering who made it, who held it, and what group of people used it is truly amazing!

Welcome Aboard AH.com and to the ADDICTION we all have in common. Every find is a new thrill and it doesn't have to be a complete point. You'll find this website interesting, educational, informative and friendly. Your journey begins now. ...Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Chuck and so glad I am taking that Journey!

Welcome to AH.com I hope to see many more
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Chase. Sure hope to find many more!

Welcome to our forum from Alabama. Your point is a dandy for sure. You are in an area where there are many, many prehistoric sites. That one is kinda easy to ID. A suggestion about posting your pics: In the future you should put something with the picture so we can get an idea as to its size. It doesn't have to be a ruler. I suggest laying a quarter beside your point. Quarters are exactly one inch in diameter so it makes estimating their sizes a no brainer. Most point types are IDed by a combination of factors with the range in length one of them. Yeah it is thousands of years old-well over 5 thousand.

Comment

• DR Mayes
        DR Mayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you sailorjoe and I appreciate the suggestion of sizing and it is simply amazing to me the point is that old!!!
    Working...
    X