Hello from Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Texas

Hello! A few years back, we inherited a piece of recreational land about 5 miles up river from a place called Paint Rock, Texas, which is probably best known for the nearby pictographs that range in date from about 1000 AD to the 1700s. The property is usually used for hunting (of the animal variety), camping or to look for freshwater pearls in the Concho River, which is the northern most property line.

I was out walking the property the other day and came across a large draw where I set up to hunt. As I was looking around, I noticed a lot of busted up flint around the flat rocks surrounding the draw and started to wonder how much use the property had seen historically due to its close proximity to a well known stop-off for old tribes. Clearly, those rocks are hard enough to not be that busted up without human intervention, and the property is useless for farming, so I know machinery couldn't have worn them down over years.

I asked my parents and they said that the gentleman that lived there previously had a collection of projectile points that he had collected over the years, but that they're stored somewhere up in the attic. So as soon as I find those points, I'd love to share and get some feedback about them. I know very little about what I'd be looking for out on the property, but have found a few very recognizable pieces by kicking through plowed fields when I was younger.

Anyways, I thought I'd stop by and make an introduction before poking around too much. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time reading over old posts and checking in at "What did I find" until I can at least figure out the difference between an eroded piece of rock and something that has actually been worked. Lol.

Welcome from southwestern southern Ontario.

Comment

Welcome from Illinois. From what I have seen from Texas over the years you will probably have some nice finds particularly along that river. Post up some pics of the busted up flint pieces. There are folks here that are pretty sharp on answers. Sounds like you have a nice piece of land there...post up some pics of it...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Welcome from Kentucky. Sure will be nice to see what you find!!!

Comment

Welcome from Tennessee.

Comment

Welcome from the great white north. good luck with the attic search.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Welcome from SE VA & NC Outer Banks. My hubby grew up in San Antonio & recalls with fondness his stays at his aunt & uncle's deer camp along the river. They often found points & huge petrified clams that washed out of the river banks. Hope you locate that collection and better yet find some of your own!
              Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome to AH.com
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Welcome to our forum from Alabama.

Comment

Welcome. Glad you are here.
                    South Dakota

Comment

Welcome from Rhode Island!
                      Rhode Island

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com forums
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome Tberrie!
                          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hello everyone

Comment

Howdy from Illinois

Comment

Working...
                              X