Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushroom picking in January.

Three day weekends are great.
    However making a three day post means sacrificing some pictures.
    I will therefore need to dispense with most of my before pictures so that this post does not go on forever.
    Three days of trash collecting can produce a lot of it. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	238986 Some of it is much worse than others. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	238987 I figure that I got paid for removing this crap from harms way this weekend.
    Some of you already know that I smoke like a chimney.
    On Saturday while rounding up a bunch of needles I found 2 new packs of cigarettes.
    On Sunday while near that place again I figured why not double check to make sure that all of the needles were picked up.
    And looking further into the bush three more needles made their appearance as well as two more packs of smokes.
    Up here that is like finding two $20 bills sitting in the dirt. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	238988
    There was one really scary moment this weekend.
    That was when this popped out of the dirt. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	238989 And not that it would have done any good if this had been alive, but you can bet your bippy I took a step back.
    Caution was the watchword as I looked for more of it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	238990Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	238991
    It has been said that 90% of what we dig up is trash and I tend to believe that estimate.
    Most of the members here will never start a recycle program with their finds so much of this is also trash to them. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	238992 So what did I put aside to keep?
    Here is a group shot of this weekends dug finds. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	238993
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Friday started out on a high note for me.
    With the re-finding of that missing hat pin.
    It had fallen out of my pouch underneath my car. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	238995
    After that the finds seemed to pop up on a regular basis On Friday.
    The earring is just plated but it is pretty. Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	238996 The age of the coins got older as the day went on.
    And yes the 68 is nonmagnetic so 50% silver is better than non silver any day. [ Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	238997Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	238998Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	238999 The day finished on a high note with this nice pin. Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	239000 Unfortunately there is no way to date it. Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	239001
    Bruce

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Bruce - any idea what the significance is of the maple leaf next to the date on that 1947 ten center???

Saturday had it's share of keepers .
    The coins this time went in the wrong direction but who really cares. Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	239003Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	239004 There is nothing special about the Girl guides pin other than it is the first one for me.
    The tie pin on the other hand is cool, even if it is modern. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_Club Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	239005 The Saint Anthony's medallion definitely suffered from the fertilizer. Click image for larger version

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	239006 But the mushroom had no problems growing in the fertilized soil. Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	239007 I know that Mycelium tend to re-sprout if care is taken in the initial harvesting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycelium
    Do any of you think that more may sprout? Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	239008 The pocket knife and the peace pipe were found while casting around for the rest of that grenade. Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	239009Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	239010
    Bruce

Comment

Sunday produced no keeper coins.
      However three keepers did make their appearance. Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	239012 The militaria drought was finally broken on Sunday with a WWI shoulder flash.
      It was a bit twisted when found. Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	239013 Straightening it was a breeze though. Click image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	239014 It would have been perfect if only both lugs had been intact. Click image for larger version

Name:	28.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	239015 The last keeper from the weekend was a button.
      And since I was totally stumped on what type of uniform button it might be a text to my military guru was in order.
      Micheal had no idea from this photo and that I can understand. Click image for larger version

Name:	29.jpg
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	239016
      Not only was it dirty but it was upside down as well.
      Made by the Waterbury Button Company. Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	239017 And my guess now is that it is an early generic style police button. Click image for larger version

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	239018
      Bruce

Comment

Wonder why the cig's were out there? Cool finds
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Just another hopped up crack head who fell down in the bush and lost what was in their pockets is my bet.

I think that's my peace pipe from high school.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I can return it to you if you would like.

Thanks for that post Bruce. Quite interesting as usual. I really like some of the strange stuff you come up with and I always scrutinize the coinage. ...Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Chuck. And strange is a very good description of some of the stuff I find.

Bruce on the 1947 coin there looks like a maple leaf by date is this unusual? Another nice day in the park
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Johnny, I don't know the reasons behind the maple leaf on the 47 dime. they made two dimes that year. One with and one without. http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-...ents-1937-1952

• willjo
          willjo commented
          Editing a comment
          The Maple leaf coins were minted in 1948 and to show this they added the Maple Leaf, and after they made some changes to the coin they started minting 48 coins. That is an interesting coin although the ones without the leaf is worth more

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for that information Johnny. I did not know that the 47 maple leaf dime was made in 48.

"Just another hopped up crack head who fell down in the bush and lost what was in their pockets is my bet."

Bruce-- could it be a cigarette drop in payment for needles (or vice versa) and you disrupted the transaction? Just curious...
        Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          There was absolutely no one near that place on either day. Just me and the birds.

Neat finds Bruce! That is a nice looking knife you gotta wonder why it's there. I found one in a creek the other day next to bridge? Glad I don't know wasn't a fish filleting knife. Always amazed by your ability to clean up your finds.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Things are always falling out of peoples pockets when they sit or lie down in the grass. Keys, coins and pocket knifes especially.

You make me want to dust off my detector. Nice finds, silver is always great but that grenade cap is awesome, I would love to find that.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope that you do drag that detector out of the closet and put it to use.

• -=METACOM=-
          -=METACOM=- commented
          Editing a comment
          When the ground thaws I'm gonna make it a point.
      Working...
      X