I am a happy camper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a happy camper.

This post will zigzag back and forth so bear with me here guys and gals.
    Earlier this week (Wednesday) I took some time to organize my recyclables from this last year of detecting. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	244667 And decided to take the rest of the day off and relax.
    On Thursday I was relaxed and raring to go for a meet up with Ronald aka the tin man.
    Insert short commercial break here before resuming the regular programming.
    Once again the trash is relatively light. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	867.3 KB
ID:	244668 That sword is pot metal and came out in three pieces. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	244669 The heart breaker in the trash was the seltzer dispenser. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	244670 I knew in advance that the metal was toast but the blue glass was disheartening to see broken. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	244671 On Friday there was only one keeper to find it's way into the pouch. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	244672Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	244673 Friday also produced an abundance of quarters.
    To bad they were not silver quarters though. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	244674
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

And enough shell casings to have my own personal war games. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	698.5 KB
ID:	244676 OK time to get back to Thursday.
    After Ronald had to leave for an afternoon shift at work this popped up at a different location. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	244677Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	244678 The find of the day, actually find of the week, came before he had to leave.
    Here he is saying hello to Micheal.[ Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	244679 Why Micheal you ask?
    Well I had just pulled this out of the ground. Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	244680 And Micheal immediately got this in a text from me. Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	244681 Here it is cleaned up. Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	244682 The back though had both of us totally stumped.
    There was no makers information, with would have indicated Canadian military.
    And neither of us had seen a loop on the back of Canadian items before.
    Micheal's thoughts were running towards trench art and mine were inclined towards a sweetheart badge to be worn on a ribbon.
    So I sent Roger aka forbin this picture.
    I mean who better than our resident authority on all things military outside of the realm of Canadian items. Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	244683

Bruce

Comment

Roger replied.

It looks right for a British Royal Artillery cap badge from between 1902-1953 and most probably WWI era or thereabouts. I don't know why that elongated loop is there (it's not generally seen on later badges I think) but there would also have been a conventional clip (as in the picture below) but which has snapped off on your find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	244686

The clip is more properly known as a “slider” and sometimes also as a “blade” fastener. It’s designed for use with the beret and usually locates onto a stiffened leather patch sewn into the soft headgear. As I said, I don’t know why that elongated loop is also present (at least on some badges) but perhaps it provided an additional means of securing the badge more firmly or preventing it from tilting, with a little bit of sewing. I have seen badges with a small hole retrospectively drilled into the top of the U-bend on the slider which presumably was an unofficial way of providing additional security.

There are several variants for this badge but that's the most common (known as the voided single wheel type). Unless there's a maker's name (which is usually on the slider, if present) it's not usually possible to distinguish the British ones from the Canadian ones but there is one specific die type distinguished from all others which is believed to be uniquely of Canadian manufacture. It has an overall 'fatter' design and different typeface for the 'UBIQUE' motto as in the picture below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Royal Artillery - Canadian.jpg
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	244687

After seeing his reply I took a closer look and the broken slide is now so obvious.
      It is hard to believe that I missed it. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170318_085044 (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	244685
      Bruce

Comment

Back to those recycling bins! There's gold (or cash) in them there bins. Time to load 'em up and head 'em on out! In parts of this country those bins would "disappear" overnight!
        Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          That can and does happen up here too Deb.
          They will be turned into gas money very shortly.
          PS, I seriously doubt anyone is brave enough to try taking them with the daughter's pit bull standing watch in the back yard.

That is mind boggling to see all that material in one place, lot of digging
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          That is my exercise regime in those buckets Johnny. Weight lifting and lots of deep knee bends.

Good job bloody ole chap always love your posts
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Pip Pip old bean, I hope that my boring post helped you fall asleep last night. :-)

that is a super artifact, i like the caddy bling also, if i wore that to work along with a mouth grill i would fit right in.

Comment

Very nice slider. Man you find a lot of recyclables bless you for carrying out all that trash!
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
          X