I am going to pass the torch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to pass the torch.

For the last four years I have been a diggaholic.
    YUP I admit it. And no I am not going through the 12 step program to be reformed.
    Well for the last three of those years I have posted every scrap of metal, broken glass and dangerous sharp item that I have pulled from the parks.
    I know that some of you get a kick out of searching through my trash shots.
    And others of you are horrified by what I find.
    This is simply an announcement that this is the last trash shot I will post.
    Over the two days of this particular post I had to empty my pouch three times so that I could continue. Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	404.1 KB ID:	245707

Enough is enough.
    It is time for someone else to show the newbies what they need to do to make the finds.
    From now on the trash will be emptied out in the nearest trash can and not on my sorting table.
    OK rant is over.
    On Friday I met up with Jamie and his brother Ronald.
    After a bit Jon showed up also.
    I didn't manage to find a lot but it was still fun. Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	369.2 KB ID:	245708
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	197.2 KB ID:	245709
    The navy button is most likely post WWII as the back was iron and totally rusted out. Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	197.8 KB ID:	245710
    The last keeper of the day was a very tiny silver ring. Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	185.2 KB ID:	245711

On Saturday I decided to change it up somewhat and work a boulevard near one of the older parks.
    While walking from my car to the area I wanted to hit I looked over and saw a guy in a schoolyard detecting with a shovel.
    REALLY. So I walked over and read him the riot act about shovels.
    He left with no problems and I carried on my way.
    As I am getting close to the boulevard I noticed a hobbit hole.
    A hacked out clearing in the bushes where the homeless like to set up their sleeping bags.
    Now you guys know that they are irresistible to me.
    This is what the ground there looked like. Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	245712
    And it was so loaded with targets that swinging the coil was useless.
    On my knee with pinpointer in hand the targets started to come out.
    Most of it was trash.
    But there was some cash. Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	229.7 KB ID:	245713
    And an assortment of pins. Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	328.6 KB ID:	245714
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	245722 The ring was a total surprise.
    When it came out a pass over the coil gave an unexpected response.
    It was not the expected high tone but a much lower foil tone and a reading of 12/09 on the CTX.
    Four hours in the tumbler and there was no signs of plating coming off.
    However there was still dirt in the gaps so an hour in reverse electrolysis and another two hours of tumbling.
    Produced no change in it's appearance.
    There are no markings but I am positive that it is white gold. Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	245716 Back at the boulevard a silver ring made it's presence known. Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	245717Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	245723 And a few more pennies went into the cookie jar.
    By the way Deb, I didn't fully answer your last question. I normally stack the pennies in stacks of ten and put the oldest ones on top.
    That time the American wheat cents were the oldest ones.
    And checkout the condition on the 1917D Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	245718 Done with the boulevard a detour through the park to check on some regular hobbit holes produced a surprise. Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	245719 A little rinse with water and they are as good as new. Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	245720 It was now time to head for the car.
    And as per the norm I can now, no longer walk without swinging a coil in front of me. [ Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	245721
    Bruce

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	245725
      There were not a lot of recyclables this time.
      That bullet is interesting.
      It is 30 millimeters long and between 11 and 12 millimeters in diameter and there are 7 riffling groves around it.
      Anyone up for the challenge of identifying it??? Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	245726
      Bruce

Comment

I like that lil ying and yang silver ring. No clue on bullet and do you concider your maryjane pipes trash? I kinda like seeing how many of them you find.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I definitely find more than my share of those pipes Paul. I have a collection of the better ones and that one may go into the collection. I have not made up my mind on it yet.

That bullet will be either a .44 or .45cal its to long to be from a handgun there are a lot of .44 and .45 rifle cartridges modern and obsolete the only way to figure out what one it is would be to find the brass case. Maybe that will turn up in a future hunt.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          You are likely right about needing the casing to make a proper identification.
          With the velocity that it must have had the casing could be just about anywhere.

Bruce there is a good chance I may be able to start finding the pipes. The People's Republic of Illinois is broke and considering legalized pot to increase revenue. I don't have a problem with that , to each their own, but just may increase my odds of finding some pipes.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope to see the start of a great collection of west coast peace pipes from you soon.

we really like the rings you found but that snake buckle is just killer!!!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks .
          Some day I hope to find a matching receiver and maybe make a wearable belt out of it.
          Last edited by 2ndoldman; 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM.
      Working...
      X