Good stuff and weird stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good stuff and weird stuff.

Sorry folks but I have been busy getting things together for my fun hunt.
    This post covers four days of detecting.
    On Thursday I hit a park that myself and others have hunted to death.
    For four hours of swing time I found a total of 6 coins.
    One of them happened to be silver though. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	248292 I grew tired of swinging away for nothing after 3 hours and hit the bush.
    I found a little clearing in the bush and got a decent signal.
    Not being able to dig it up with my hand digger a trip back to the car was in order.
    Shovel in hand these were an easy recovery.
    To give you an idea on size the brass spike is 7 inches long. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	479.7 KB
ID:	248293 All told close to four more pounds of brass in that hole. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	248294 You can see from that last pic that some dog tags were found.
    The best one came the next day on Friday. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	248295 Two strange items found their way into the pouch on Friday.
    The first was a pin with a picture of transformation, I am clueless as to its meaning though.
    It is just a piece of junk but the picture is cool. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	248296 The second item was a frog pin that you will see later on in the post.
    This old dime made its appearance shortly after the dog tag. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	248297 No matter where I went on Saturday I just could not find anything old.
    So the cash infusion helped with the days travel costs. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	248298 Near the end of the hunt Colin called wanting to know if I was up for some more.
    I was just to pooped to pop by that time so we made arrangements for Sunday.
    On Sunday we meet up with Ronald.
    Our first spot was a dud so we put our heads together and came up with an alternative spot that we all knew about.
    The first decent find for me was this dime. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	248299
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Which was followed by a small plated pin of Felix the Cat.
    Here are the backs of both of those pins. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	248301 The frog pin is very heavy for its size.
    It rang up high like silver but I doubt that it is. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	248302
    I had told both Colin and Ronald that I was heading back to the car.
    Old habits die hard and the coil was automatically swinging on its own when this came out almost a foot down.
    My first thoughts were that it was a personalized luggage tag. Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	248303 Placing it in the pouch and walking on wards up the hill towards the car turned up three more of these tags.
    The last three were not as deep as the first.
    Only 5 to 6 inches each.
    I had no idea what they were until a friend who knows Latin helped out with the three that are legible.
    "cupressus lawsoniana.. Cypress tree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamaecyparis_lawsoniana

Paulownia.. species of flowering plants https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia

Helenium.. sunflower family https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helenium "

By the way the first one is dated 1913. Then came the two dated 1917 and the 1919 came out last. Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	248304
    speaking of trees. We grow them big up here in BC.
    The detector comes up to my nose standing like that and I am 5' 10". Click image for larger version

Name:	20170423_160135.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	248306
    Almost up to the car an odd structure caught my eye. Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	248305 So naturally investigation was in order.
    Just before getting up to it a sweet high tone broke the silence at the base of another tree.
    The indication was fairly shallow and being unable get the coil directly above it to pinpoint I almost quit on the signal when the pinpointer would not pick it up.
    I was thinking it was just another penny and almost walked away to look at that structure.
    Once again old habits intervened and digging commenced.
    And am I ever glad that I did. Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	248307 Not walking away turned into the best find of the week.
    “Veterans! Canada Needs You Again” – Recuriting poster for the Veterans Guard of Canada. CWM 19750317-021. With the outbreak of war in Europe in the fall of 1939, thousands of Can…

Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	248308
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Forgetting your finds today, Bruce, because I'm busy admiring that big old tree! Beautiful!! Can't tell what it is on my iPhone. We once had a massive Beech on our property we called Granddaddy Beech. It was 15' around. It was the centerpiece of our side yard until it dropped a massive limb onto the roof of our daughter's brand new car. It was clear it was rotting from within & it had to come down. 😢
      Last edited by Havenhunter; 04-25-2017, 06:07 AM.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        WOW, 15 feet around is massive Deb. You are very lucky it did not come down on your house.

That last find is a neat one.What kind of tree is that? It is massive...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Good stuff for sure! Well except the Paulownia it is a bad invasive here in Appalachia most of our roadways are lined with them. It is an amazing tree that can turn from seedling to tree in no time. It can grow 20 ft in one year making it one of the fastest growing if not the fastest growing tree in the world. The sneeze weed is one of my favorites if you have a NA garden it is a must for beauty and it's use by NA's to get rid of evil spirits by snorting which causes sneezing which is thought to release the evil spirits. Yea I love plants! Thanks for sharing Bruce!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Not finding anything old in the coins, I consider coins from the 40's old if I find them. only been to one place where I found really old coins and they were some the colonist had before U. S. coins
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        As with everything else location is key to finding older items. And that day I just didn't have the right location.

Well Bruce - Like Deb, I was intrigued by that tree. It has sooo much character in the trunk. This post was one of your more interesting and informative. Thanks for taking us along and the education on your finds. By the way - have you turned up anything on that "transformation" pin???
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Chuck. Nothing on that transformation pin so far I am afraid. One thought was Phoenix rising from the ashes. However that does not go with the young child to a beautiful bird.

Wow, love that Felix the Cat pin... and it's the old old Felix.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I like it too.

That transformation pin is very unique. I wonder what it means too
      South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I am still out in the dark on that one Gary.
        Personally I lean towards a Native transitional theme but have been unable to find a link to corroborate that.

I looked again at that pin, and the first figure kind of looks like a Chinese figure.
      South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I keep going back to it myself Gary and I can not figure out its origin either.
    Working...
    X