5.75" KY Hornstone TT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.75" KY Hornstone TT

This blade was fun to knap. It's a 5.75 inch Kentucky Hornstone Turkeytail-Tupelo type blade. Or at least that was my goal.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 318b.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	228928 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 318a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	228929
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

That's a beauty Ron! Those double notches are sweet. I wonder if those big Turkey tail blades were more ceremonial than anything else? I know many were used and many were found as part of burial caches, but maybe those big blades were a status symbol?? I'm not directing this question at only you Ron, just thinking out loud.... They sure are fascinating though! You've done well on that one and I bet plenty of the ancient ones were made from that stone or something very similar! Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh, I think that hornstone was the usual lithic for big Turkeytail Blades.
      I knapped a Turkeytail-Fulton type blade today. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

That is another gorgeous blade Ron. Pretty soon you will be considered one of the masters of the trade.
    Josh the turkeytail design may have been for ceremonial blades but it was definitely not confined to lithic blades.
    this is a copper culture blade that was recently posted in the Canadian metal detecting Facebook page by a fellow from Wisconsin.
    And yes I have been trying to get him to post here as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	14671095_387983638258986_5705851215465148589_n.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	229212
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
    X