Making a Cannel Coal Pendent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Cannel Coal Pendent

I just wanted to share a few photos of the drilling process on Ron's cannel coal pendent I made for Secret Santa. Despite being soft cannel Coal the material was still very dense. I shaped the pendent with my Abrading stone I use for knapping. I have yet to find a great way to polish with only natural materials so I used a very fine grit nail sponge to polish. I made a drill by hafting a drill point I made from floor tile to a piece of river cane. It worked well but I had to resharpen the bit twice as it dulled from drilling. The cannel coal was awesome! Jay (onewiththewild) sent me that piece a while back from RI, Thanks Jay!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20161212_161106-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	235519

Name:	20161212_161111-1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	235520

Name:	20161212_204714-1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	235521

Name:	20161212_214234-1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	235522

Name:	20161212_204720-1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	235523
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Absolutely awesome Josh. Replicating the ancients, to some extent, is just awesome. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Kyflintguy
      Kyflintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck! I wish I could pay the bills doing it because its really just so much fun!

Hey Josh, Thanks for the crafting info. I really like the pendent and the biconical drilling really make it nice.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

great job bud! thats some of my favorite stuff to work with too.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that stuff pretty common were your at?
        May have to do some trading but id really like to work some more...ive found water worn coal but none with that kind of density here.

oh yeah dude, i find it all the time.its fairly common at some of my spots. i never heard it called cannel coal though,thats a first for me! i always thought of it as some form of shale, but since you called it coal it makes sense.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome! Technically your correct, it is a type of oil shale. Im sure its around here (seen plenty of artifacts made from it) but bituminous coal (which is lighter and more brittle) is usually what I find here. Sounds good though, I will reimburse you for all your efforts. Thanks!

ive been keeping my eyes open and i already brought a few nice pieces home for ya. ill get ya some prime stuff to work with. if you need anything else from the shore let me know.

Comment

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome man! Id love to see some of the things you've done with it... I can't think of anything at the moment, ive got shell to work but that stuff is contrary...I do appreciate all the goodies you've sent me in the past, people don't recognize the fun in foraging and making stuff from nature but finding good materials is as fun as hunting artifacts imo.

You did a great job on that piece my friend and I apologize for missing this when you originally made the post.
      I would like to know how you made the necklace for the pendant. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_23267.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	238222
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for adding the finished product to this thread Bruce, I never took photos after it was complete... I braided some black hemp cordage for the necklace itself. One of the harder parts was getting the hasp element to work properly, which you can't see in the photo but I made a hasp using a drilled antler tip and loop. I did get it working quite nicely though, we may have to get Ron to show a picture of that part.

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Lets give him a nudge.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Guys, See below.

Hey Guys, Sorry that I'm late to the party. The antler clasp is a cool part of the pendant.
      This is a close-up: The clasp is one inch long.

Name:	Clasp 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	238531
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ron.
        It would be nice if the PM system included an email message to the member it was sent to.
        That way replies could be quicker.

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ron!
    Working...
    X