Hornstone Adz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornstone Adz

Today I was thinking outside the box. I knapped a hornstone adz.

This is the Bottom side. I knapped it quite flat.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	bottom.jpg Views:	1 Size:	234.0 KB ID:	241351
    This is the top side. Click image for larger version  Name:	Top.jpg Views:	1 Size:	248.9 KB ID:	241352
    Here is a side view: You can see that I have a steep bevel on the distal end. Click image for larger version  Name:	Side View.jpg Views:	1 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	241353
    And here is a picture of the distal end. Click image for larger version  Name:	Distal End.jpg Views:	1 Size:	141.8 KB ID:	241354
    I plan to haft it in a handle and use it like a draw shave.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	241355
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 02-16-2017, 03:32 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Interesting piece, be interesting to see work done with it
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Johnny, I think I can use it to strip the bark off poles for a wickiup

Ron - Love that material and I've never seen an adz at work. Did you intentionally serrate the distal end for sharper edge. Like willjo - I'd like to see it at work. Really nice work, as usual. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck, The small serrations are just a result of knapping. I do think that will help tear the bark.

Add me to the list of curious members waiting to see the final results Ron.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bruce, When the weather warms I will put it to use.

Cool project Ron and nice looking adze! Looks like it would work well for stripping bark and id be interested in seeing how the adze edge wears. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Josh, Yes the use wear will be interesting. It is a heavy piece and I might have to resharpen the distal end. We will see.
Working...
X