From Brown to White to Gray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Brown to White to Gray

This hornstone nodule was quite small and I was curious to see if I could get to good chert:
    See that chip? Under all that cortex and chalk is a piece of Kentucky Hornstone.
    From Brown:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 350a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	241535
    To White:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 350b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	241536
    To Gray:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Point 350c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	241537
    And here is the blade that was hiding inside that rock:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 350d.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	241538Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 350e.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	241539
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 02-19-2017, 03:22 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Nice work Ron love the photos.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ron, I love those transition pics. I'm gonna assume that of those last two pics, the color of the one on the right is the natural color. How long did it take you to peel off the outer layer down to the core chert? Again, as usual, we see another awesome blade, compliments of Ron Kelly. ...Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Chuck, This was a quick one for me. About an hour of knapping total from start to finish. The picture taking probably took another hour.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        The sky picture is too dark. The one on the left is real close to the actual color except for the sunshine glow.

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm glad cause I really liked the left photo better. The color and detail are more vivid.

Ya know I wonder just how many so called ugly field stones/rocks that I tossed back to the Earth might have had that underneath...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Frank, All of the hornstone nodules that I have been knapping just look like big field stone. This one was unusually small and flat.

Wow Ron! That's one heck of a job, an ancient knapped would be very proud of you on that! Hard to believe that was in there! Nice looking corner notched knife!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josh, I was happy that I didn't lose much length or width. The blade shape is pretty much a result of the shape of the rock.

Always amazed how you turn a plain old ugly rock into a knapped work of art. Great before and aft pics. Keep up the great work love to see more.

Comment

Nice job you used almost all of the length and width of the rock, neat.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That's a nice point, love the edge work!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks for taking us on that knapping adventure .

Comment

I too really appreciate the transition photos of the toolstone. Thanks

Comment

That sure is a beaut Ron.

Comment

Working...
                X