From Spall to Preform to Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Spall to Preform to Blade

Here is another blade showing the steps I went through. This is a nice big spall (5.5 X 4 X 1.25 inches.) I am only looking for one good sized blade so I will knapp away most of that stone. Next is the preform which is 4.75 X 1.75 X .375 inches. At this point I haven't done any pressure flaking (Only percussion work). And last is the finished 4.5 inch Keokuk Blade (With pressure flaked edges and notches).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_26329.jpg Views:	1 Size:	500.9 KB ID:	245327Click image for larger version  Name:	image_26330.jpg Views:	1 Size:	277.9 KB ID:	245328Click image for larger version  Name:	image_26331.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	245329Click image for larger version  Name:	image_26332.jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.4 KB ID:	245330
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_26333.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	245331
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 03-23-2017, 04:41 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Thanks Ron. I appreciate seeing the steps.
    South Dakota

Comment

Very helpful post as I have only really worked with glass so far, so this should give me some guidance when I get some chert to work with, thanks Ron.

Comment

Very cool and very informative. Thanks Ron.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the process Ron.
          Is the profile pic showing the preform or the finished blade?
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bruce, That's the preform but the blade didn't thin to the center with the pressure flaking.

Nice Ron!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
          X