No announcement yet.

Haunted History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMD I could be counted as one of the most ignorant among us if I were to harbor any ill feeling at your decision to move this subject. Your previous post on this subject is one of best thought out and explained that I've had the pleasure of reading. For those of us that have had such experiences they are as real and lasting as any temporal experiences we might have with one another. The capabilitys of the human mind is as limitless as space itself and the vast majority of us use but the smallest of portions of it. I totally agree that one day such phenomena will be completely understand ,fully explainable and universally accepted. Until such time we disagree in a cordial way but never in a way as to detract from the main focus of this wonderful site. HavenHunter Thankyou for sharing what is a deeply moving events that happened to you and your family. It defys logic,stretches the bounds of our limited understanding and leaves some scratching their head in disbelief For me it deepens my thirst for understanding. As always,the hunt continues.

Comment

My right hand to God this story happened exactly as I tell it. This is an Egyptian artifact called The Eye of Horus. It was one of the most potent protective symbols of that very ancient culture. It's manufacture was hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus Christ. Some 20 plus years ago my brother was collecting Egyptian artifacts. This being one of them caught my eye and he made a gift of it to me some short time later. At the time I was doing contract work in some of the roughest most gang infested sections of Boston. Aside from going to work (legally)armed with my Smith and Wesson 9mm I decided to attach this Eye of Horus to a thin gold chain and wear it to work under my shirt. The day was smooth and uneventful and driving the Mass Pike back to the office I felt that the pendant was resting down near my belly button in my shirt. I reached to the chain and it was intact. My heart sunk because if the chain was intact then this very ancient pendant must have broken at the loop. Upset with myself at wearing this to work and ruining it I pulled over at the next available rest stop and dug the EOH out of my shirt. To my utter shock the pendant was intact and undamaged as you can see by the picture. How or why it got off the chain to this day is beyond my ability to explain. I never attempted to wear this relic again. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	237448

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I see them from an Israeli dealer on eBay now and then, and have always thought it was a cool artifact to own. My wife has a nice statue of Horus.

Actually, Liv'n, it occurs to me I likely erred in moving the topic. It was only a suggestion after all, nothing wrong with the suggestion, so it easily could have remained right where it was in fact. It was not really my call either. So my apologies for that. It's not a topic for everyone, I think that's a given. But I do know people who are involved intensely in an activity often report synchronicities, etc. It often seems to come with the turf. So when "odd" things happen, I take the attitude of going with the flow and understanding I'm only visiting this realm, I can't pretend to be certain it is as science says it is at any given time and in every given circumstance. Sometimes it's fun to get personal with the universe, and not worry you're going crazy. Sometimes the universe behaves in a personal way, and all you can do is smile and say "how 'bout that". If consciousness is the actual fabric of the universe, I imagine I'll find that out in time anyway.
      Rhode Island

Comment

No need for apologys from where I sit CMD. Life is way too short to let pride or personal preferences stand in the way of the overall good and what could be the beginning of life long friendships. Just my way of looking at things. This whole process of learning that's been my life is a roller coaster of good,not so good,trial and error but always a burning curiosity about the seemingly endless array of stories yet to be told around us. Everything that I've plucked from the ground tells a story I can only begin to understand but as of yet only partially understand. Truly fascinating

Comment

Looks2Much I really enjoyed your post and experiences you've had. For me half the joy I get from metal detecting in these historical places is imagining what life was like,what happened there and just who were these people that came before us. I think it's great you can share this hobby with your daughter as well. In this day and age where kids are glued to the couch you are introducing her to something that could follow her through her life as well as give her lasting memory's. Now that's time well spent.

Comment

• Looks2Much
            Looks2Much commented
            Editing a comment
            What a nice thing to say, thank you Liv'n. I was brought up doing all of things kids are supposed to do... I was lucky to have an uncle that loved the outdoors and loved to pass his pastimes down to me. Some of my best memories are waking up to him whispering in my face, "Hey, Dave, you wanna go fishing?" Those days will forever be some of my fondest memories. I want to make sure Lila has the same chance and my aunt made me promise that I would not 'go easy' on her because she's a girl. She told me to teach her to throw a baseball, teach her to catch fish and teach her everything you know about the outdoors.

Those are easy promises to keep.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, that made my day.

Hi LtP. I apologize for stepping into your reply to L2M. But I wished to add a note of agreement. I am not a metal detectorist, but I , too, try to imagine what life was like in the past and because I think that what my forbearers had to endure in just ordinary living is so much more difficult than what we have to experience today that I am full of admiration for my ancestors and their cohorts. Without their hardiness and endurance, I would not be here today. Looking into the past is often an affirmation of our previous beliefs, sometimes our previous beliefs get tumbled around a bit.

Comment

• Looks2Much
            Looks2Much commented
            Editing a comment
            As my buddy Charlie says, "we're all just passing through". And I would add to that that we're all responsible for the marks we leave behind.

As for believing or not believing in what may or may not be behind some of these stories... we should never let that get in the way of a connection between people that share this common interest. We are a small group, we are all chasing the same rush and we're lucky to have a place like this to share all aspects of our experiences.

No apologys nessesary Sailor Joe your opinion is most welcome. I believe we are all kindred spirits in as far as doing some thinking about what life was like for the previous owners/makers /users of the relics that we recover. Most everyone I know that gets deeply involved in what we do has a certain love and very strong affinity toward that which we find and an admiration for the people that brought them into existence I agree 100 pct with your previous post. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Thanks CMD. It's definitely a cool artifact but one that has boundarys as to its ownership. The incident with my wearing of this object happened well over 20 years ago but I've never been able to come to a definable reason as to how it ended up off that chain. I came away knowing that ownership is ok but wearing was "ver botten"

Comment

Working...
            X