No announcement yet.

Well I have procrastinated long enough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I have procrastinated long enough.

It is time to announce this years fun hunt.
    Once again the fun hunt will be at Witty's Lagoon on Metchosin Rd just outside of Victoria here on Vancouver Island.
    This is a video of the 1.5 kilometer walk and the beach where the hunt will be held. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf27YXh9w8c
    May 20th from 10am to whenever you want to stop.
    However prizes and draws will be made at 2pm.
    Prizes to be given away to those who attend include 4, 1943 US steel wheat pennies.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	248175Some Roman coins from my friend Micheal Rawlins. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	248176And one of my own. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	248177
    The reason I have held off this long is to try and pry information out of Minelab as to what they are sending me this year.
    Unfortunately they are holding their cards close to their vests and not releasing any information until the packages are sent.
    So I do not know if I will have a detector this year or not to ad to what I already have as draw prizes for those who help with a donation to the Beacon Hill Petting zoo. https://beaconhillchildrensfarm.ca/
    For anyone wishing to make a donation I will accept PayPal as a gift or an e-Transfer.
    My email address is campbell.bruce.d@gmail.com
    What I do have is a Whisky Walker hand digger supplied by Alison Walker.
    Every $10 donation will get one ticket in the draw for the hand digger.
    She uses the sales of her line of tools to raise money for the Kelly Shires Foundation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMsoI3IpBy4

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	248178
    I also have three really nice coins.
    The 1890 US silver dollar was donated by Bill from Lachine.
    Who many of you know from canadianmetaldetecting.com
    For every $10 donation you will get one ticket in the draw.
    There will be a draw for each coin so every $10 donation gets you three chances.

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	248179Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	248180
    If there are any Civil War aficionados out there who want to cover shipping and make a donation these are up for grabs. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	248181
    If I don't get a detector from Minelab I just might put my hair on the auction block. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	248182
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Alright, on with the show.
    Boy do I have some stuff to toss out on that sandy beach this year.
    I have coins from over 60 different countries.

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	248184I have tokens. From itty bitty to humongous. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	248185Speaking of humongous, how about these old hotel keys. Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	248186
    I am thinning my heard of large cents. Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	248187And early small cents. Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	248188A pile of costume jewelry will be tossed into the mix.
    Why? Well just to ad more targets to the hunt of course.

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	248189
    Here on the West coast we are starved for older coins.
    So I put out the word asking for donations.
    And a couple of guys from the East stepped up.
    Chris aka ccwoof sent some nice older coppers.

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	248190And some tokens from his home town. Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	248191
    Bruce

Comment

And Patrick aka romeo-1 sent out some nice old coppers too. Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	248193And wouldn't you know it I had a few old ones kicking around here to ad to the pile. Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	248194And just to spice it up a bit more, this year I will toss some silvers into the sand as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	248195
      Daniel A from the forum will be bringing over a box of goodies from Garrett and some Minelab goodies supplied by Jack from Radioworld. https://www.radioworld.ca/
      So with whatever Minelab corporate sends my way there should be piles of stuff to hand out to everyone who attends.
      I just want to ad one thing. This is a fun hunt.
      There is no fee to enter.
      Come on out and enjoy the day.
      If you do not have a detector that is no problem.
      I will have two of my own there for you to try out.

Bruce

Comment

Bruce if I was anywhere within reach I would love to attend but the Pacific Northwest and another country are out of my reach. Sounds like a way cool event though. That would be a great idea with arrowheads also. Get some folks to donate brokes and a few good ones...hmm might have something there...One question...in your second post, top picture, bottom row, third coin from the right. It appears to have an image of a Wren. What kind of coin is that?
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Sounds like a fun event. Wish it wasn't at opposite ends of the continent for me. ☹️
          Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            At times like this I wish that I lived smack dab in the middle of the continent.

Dang Bruce, that's magnificent! Gonna do that this summer, maybe it will keep the red off my neck.
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha I will never be called a red neck that is for sure.

Looks like an fun event to mark the calendar for.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            I apologize for not replying earlier Johnny.
            Thank you for the comment my friend.

Originally posted by BabaORiley View Post
          Bruce if I was anywhere within reach I would love to attend but the Pacific Northwest and another country are out of my reach. Sounds like a way cool event though. That would be a great idea with arrowheads also. Get some folks to donate brokes and a few good ones...hmm might have something there...One question...in your second post, top picture, bottom row, third coin from the right. It appears to have an image of a Wren. What kind of coin is that?
          It is a British coin. http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk/Fart...0-%201941.html
          And in this condition it is worth around $3.
          Bruce

Comment

Look at all that treasure!
            South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              And here I am throwing it away.

That is an amazing collection of coins. Your dedication to your hobby is admirable. I would say your fellow collectors are very fortunate to have you as one of their leaders. Your shining example is shinier than those coins.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Joe that is a very kind thing to say, and I appreciate it.

Once again you have blown me away! So let me get this straight....you spend most of your time out swinging the ol coil, in all weathers, sometimes waist deep in the water, collecting up all the rubbish as well as the keepers ( risking god only knows what picking up sharps (and i`ve just read that you make fishing weights from the scrap lead, phew )) and then..........once a year you take out a selection of goodies and strew them around for others to come find for Fun and to raise money for a local charity? You Deserve A Medal Bruce. You are pure Gold mate
            If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              Lucas, once again I thank you for the compliment.
              I am luckier than most when it comes to finding cool things.
              It makes me feel good to share.

• LucasBMylks
              LucasBMylks commented
              Editing a comment
              I have often wondered what you do with all the interesting little bits and bobs you find, all the history behind them, and that `you` found them. To me it seems a great thing to do is nail them to walls of your house and create a sort of grotto that would while away endless hours of eye catching entertainment...i suppose a bit like a British pub with all the Bric-a-Brac in them only you know it is all your treasures that you have found. and i am sure you probably have. But to put some of them back out there is so......generous isnt even close enough. ingenious doesnt give you enough credit. Memory Making comes close. i can picture kids (and adults lol) who will take part and never forget their `first` find. i think its lovely.

As you are a self-confessed addict tho you do realise you are putting these kids at risk of becoming addicted too? (said with much laughter)
            If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              I am addicted beyond belief Lucas and I am very happy to pass this addiction on to others.

• LucasBMylks
              LucasBMylks commented
              Editing a comment
              You are not alone Bruce

More treasure was discovered by the public in 2016, than ever before.

I am a bit scared of purchasing the detector we have chatted about (Big Grin on my face) and i have not even seen the show `The Detectorists` only read your wonderful stories............

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link Lucas.
              I have watched some of the episodes of the Detectorits and thoroughly enjoyed them, much more so than the American detectorist shows.
              The British version is totally lacking in hype and simply shows the reality of metal detecting.
          Working...
          X