black powder rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black powder rifles

anyone do much shooting with black powder guns?

I used to have an 1861 Navy Revolver Replica 36 cal. It was fun to shoot but cleaning it was a chore.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I shot my friends 50 cal black powder rifle once...it was brutal, I'll stick with my 9mm...

Comment

I have two 50 cal. rifles. One is a traditional rifle and the other is a modern inline rifle with variable power scope. With the traditional rifle I use a patched roundball. With the modern muzzle loader I use a plastic sabot and jacketed bullet.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          The inlines are said to be very accurate. My buddy had one and he had taken deer annually with it. I was never around when he was target shooting so I have zip for experience in firing one.

Ive hunted with a modern muzzleloader since I was about 14. Ive been through several muzzleloaders since then but I like my CVA Optima as good as many ive shot including my dads TC Encore. Ive always wanted to get a more traditional muzzleloader, actually want to build my own Kentucky long rifle but just haven't yet. I love the look of those old rifles. One thing ive seen many people do and ruin there guns is not clean there gun enough... Lots of work but its fun and I enjoy the early and late season...
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Josh, i built a Kentucky long rifle from a kit. It was fun and looked cool but just too heavy to hunt with. I sold it for twice what I had into it.

• toccopola
          toccopola commented
          Editing a comment
          i like hunting with the inlines also but they are more like modern center fire rifles. the rifles i really like are the traditional side hammer guns like hawkens and long rifles.

• Kyflintguy
          Kyflintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I held one many years ago Ron, I recall it being crazy heavy... I still can't help but want to construct one myself and maybe gift it to my dad or just hang it on the mantle but clean and shoot it once or twice a year. Lol

I don't but my brother is a huge fan of black powder.
        This is our 2013 family Christmas photo with just a few of his black powder guns. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0880.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	227526 And to top it off here is his gun safe. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	44
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	227527 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).JPG
Views:	40
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	227528 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	227529 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (7).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	227530
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

dang he's as gun poor as me!

Comment

Sure do, .50 cal x150 Winchester inline, .54 cal petersoli rolling block, .45 cal Thomson center Hawkins with double set trigger. Used to use my father in law's .451 Parker Hale Wentworth civil war sniper musket for hunting too. I am lucky to live in an area where deer are abundant and after years of hunting I became bored so moved to muzzleloaders. I took several good bucks with my .54 using saboted .45 cal xtp bullets. No deer I shot with this combo ever took a step. I took a typical 12 point with my .50 cal inline and 24 inch wide 7 point using powerbelt polymer tipped bullets. This combo was very accurate but I do not recommend the powerbelt bullet it did do the internal damage needed. The deer i shot with the powerbelt with double lung shots walked around for atleast a minute before going down. If they had ran or trotted off I may not have found them. I shot at one monster buck with my .45 and shot a small tree about 3 inches in diameter about half way between us. It was about 20 yards away and I was wishing I had a scoped gun after that miss but it would have been a great take with the old Hawkins. Anyway they are super fun and get ya one or more. Just clean the hell out of em.

Comment

I bought this a few years back and should have never fired it. It's a Thompson Centers Thunder Hawk whitetail tribute. This one is number 15 of 3 hundred. I have taken a couple of whitetails with it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	228490 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	228491 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1449 (1).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	228492 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1451.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	228493
              east Tx.

Comment

You may have reduced the value by shooting it but in my opinion if you want a wall hanger then buy one that can't shoot.
                And Hang it right side up while you are at it. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20691.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	228552
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
                X