Let's Take A Walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Take A Walk

Decided to go out on a hunt on the main logging road this afternoon. It's around 50 degrees so it's relatively warm but the wind is blowing a bit. Anyway we'll leave from my backyard and trek downhill to the logging road. Click image for larger version  Name:	StartPoint.jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	235304

If ya look in the top pic left side about half way up you can see a road heading into the woods. We gonna follow that down to the main log trail and we'll walk around the mountain at the base of the pastures, which is about 1 mile then back up the hillside to the upper logging road. Click image for larger version  Name:	LandingArea.jpg Views:	2 Size:	275.2 KB ID:	235308

This is the landing area where the logs are dragged and processed for hauling. It's been awhile since they logged this section. But as you can see the road gets washed down periodically. It leads around the side of the mountain and down to a creek that leads to the river. Click image for larger version  Name:	DownhillSrch.jpg Views:	1 Size:	249.9 KB ID:	235303
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LandingArea.jpg Views:	2 Size:	275.2 KB ID:	235309

This is one of my main search areas. The pic just above is immediately down from the landing area and the pic above that shows how much washout we have that ends in the creek. Click image for larger version  Name:	Typical Srch area.jpg Views:	1 Size:	243.2 KB ID:	235306

This is about a 1 foot square area that is typical of what I hunt in. I do a lot of flipping to check the pieces out. Click image for larger version  Name:	Chips.jpg Views:	1 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	235302

Most of what I find I put in a pile along side the road so I don't wind up handling it again. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_23207.jpg Views:	1 Size:	230.2 KB ID:	235307

The creek washes over the mountain for about a 30 foot drop over a huge bolder that caps off a rockhouse. Click image for larger version  Name:	Falls1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	181.6 KB ID:	235305

If you find the green area in the upper left of the pic, it traverses the pic to the lower right side. That marks the rockhouse area. It's only about 15 - 20 feet deep and 20 feet tall but there's plenty of room to walk around behind the falls. Legend has it - they used to have a still in there and I can believe it. The ground in there is hard as cement from all the traffic but there's nothing there now. I have done some digging and found spalls, chips and a couple of broken points but so far, that's all. (Cont'd in next post)
    Last edited by Scorpion68; 12-22-2016, 06:43 PM.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Thanks for another walk, I was getting cabin fever. Hey in that pile. What's that at 8:00, what's that at 9:00, what's that at 4:00?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

We continue on around the mountain. It's an uphill downhill walk so you get plenty of exercise. About a 1/4 mile above the falls, we come to one of the debris areas where they cut the waste off the tress and harvest the full log. The logs are then dragged to the landing area where they're cut into 10 foot sections, loaded on trucks and hauled off the mountain to the saw mills. This debris area will be cleared away by those of us who need fire wood. We'll use everything but the really small limbs for kindling and firewood. It won't be wasted. Click image for larger version

Name:	DebrisField.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	235313
      On around the mountain we go. We walk about 1/2 mile with the pastures to our right and a pretty hefty dropoff to our left. We could continue on around the mountain but I decided to shorten this trip and hump the hill to the upper log road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	StarttheWalk.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	235318

The upper road is at the base of the treeline in the picture below.

Name:	FromtheBottom2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	235314
      It doesn't look very far but that is a pretty hefty trek for a 70 year old. I usually stop a couple of times to rest my legs. Next I'll show you the view from the top, looking down to where we are standing now.

Name:	DownHilllook.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	235316
      At this point we are about 100 feet below the upper logging road. This is the washout where my Grand daughter, Lilly, found her near perfect Dovetail point.

Name:	TopOtheHill.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	235317
      This is the overlook view from the top looking into Kentucky. You can almost see Static, Ky from here. Now we'll continue on around this road til we get back home, which is about 30 minutes on a relatively easy walk.

Name:	Home2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	235315
      Thanks for coming along. We enjoyed having you with us and sharing a little piece of our mountain. ...Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        It may have been an easy 30 walk for you Chuck but I was huffing and puffing just looking at those hills.
        Thanks for dragging me along though, I enjoyed the stroll.

Chuck that is an absolutely beautiful area. As I was following the pics I was wondering if guys like Daniel Boone and others may have crossed the same paths or maybe were on the run from NA folks that didn't "cotton" to them being in their territory...the pics are awesome and your chunk of the hill is a fine looking piece of land...excellent post my friend...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Frank - I have similar thoughts everytime I pickup a point or flake. I also wonder what this area was like back in the day - My closest neighbor has lived on this mountain all his life, before they had roads they were wagon trails. He has told me so many stories about this place and how unpopulated it was during his childhood. His family owned over 500 acres here and farther over in the county. It must have been an awesome piece of land back then but times were equally hard also. ...Chuck

Thanks Chuck, that was fun. I wish I could tag along!
      South Dakota

Comment

Had to drive on I40 got me restless and slightly angry at all the aggressive drivers. Stoped half way on my journey to eat. Decided to look on site and read your post. It was exactly what I needed thank you. That place looks absolutely beautiful.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Very neat walkalong Chuck. Beautiful territory. Looks familiar.

Comment

Hi Chuck! Thanks for the guided tour. Kinda makes me homesick for the old days. I spent much of my younger days not far south of that area in the Cookeville area where I found my first "arrowhead".

Comment

• CoachG
              CoachG commented
              Editing a comment
              I went to Tech for a few years after playing Juco baseball but never did any hunting down there. Always thought about it but never knew where to start.

• Scorpion68
              Scorpion68 commented
              Editing a comment
              We make a run to Cookeville at least once every month. Wife's doctor appointments and monthly grocery shopping at SAM's.

Thanks Chuck, That was a beautiful hike but I didn't get much exercise.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks for the fine view Chuck. You, your family, and neighbours are truly blessed living in that part of the country. Steve Earle's The Mountain was playing in my head as I looked at your photos.

Comment

That's beautiful scenery Chuck! Thanks for sharing!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Totally awesome! Thanks Chuck, I could defiantly feel at home hunting that area.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks for taking us along, beautiful out there!
                    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Boy Chuck. You sure have a little slice of Heaven there! Looks like Daniel Boone country. Merry Christmas! Were nearing a foot of Snow here so a White one it Be!

Comment

• Scorpion68
                        Scorpion68 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sns - We're at 56 and tomorrow it's supposed to be even warmer. Really puts a damper on the Holiday spirit but we're working on it. To add insult to injury, it's raining and will continue til tomorrow. That white stuff would surly have been a welcome addition here but not now. We'd be iced in and stuff would be breaking all over the place. You and your's have a Happy Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year. ...Chuck
                    Working...
                    X