Walkabout on the Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkabout on the Mountain

My daughter and I went on a walk around the mountain today but instead of following the logging roads, we decided to drop down into the lower area and follow the creek that runs into Wolf River. There are times that it has heavy run off from rain and we thought we might find something in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtn5.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	241892To get to the creek we had to hike down the steep slope Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtn7.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	241894

The creek was riddled with fallen trees and large rocks but there were lots and lots of sand pockets where stuff settled into. I posted a couple of pottery pieces we found in another post.

We also climbed back up the mountain side to check out overhangs and mini caves. Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtn4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	241895

Name:	Mtn1_edited-1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	241896Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtn3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	241897This particular mini cave was about 10 feet deep and perfect for getting out of the weather.

Name:	Mtn10.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	241898Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtn8.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	241899

Found these in the process and there's lots and lots of chert lying about as well.
    Attached Files
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Name:	Mtn14.jpg
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	241906Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtn11.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	241901
    Found a couple of these chewed on cow leg bones in the creek. It's the way some of these critters get their RDA of calcium.

Name:	Mtn15.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	241902 Don't know what kind of chert this is but it was a fairly large chunk. Lots of this stuff lying around in the creek.

Name:	Mtn18.jpg
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	241903Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtn17.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	241904Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtn16.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	241905

It was actually quite a strenuous walkabout but we learned that there's lots of chert chunks and other potentially interesting stuff in the creek bed. It meanders all over before reaching Wolf River but we only walked a small part of it. It's the up hill down hill that gets ya, then it's uphill all the way home from the logging road. Whew. Oh, well. Until next time ---
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That does look like rough walking especially for us old timers. You ever check under those overhangs?
      Thanks for taking us along.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        As a matter of fact Greg, we did today. I need to wait until the leaves all blow away or rake them off to really see the bare ground. We just did a cursory look today but plan to go back and really check. My neighbor says the hogs used to wallow under that overhang in the last pic. That's where his kids found all the points and blades and the one bone piece that we believe may have been used for knapping.

Hey Chuck, I like your mountain. Thanks for the story and all the great pictures.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Nice walk about, looks like there should be points ever where.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

An amazingly beautiful place to explore. Thanks for the journey!
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Chuck, nobody does "take us along" threads better then you!
            Rhode Island

Comment

Good looking terrain.

Comment

I love these little walks you take us on. Others too. I think they help beginner hunters locate campsites, when they get to see what they may look like. They might think, "Hey, I know a spot that looks just like that."
                South Dakota

Comment

I am glad that Gary brought this post back up, otherwise I would have been left in the parking lot while you took everyone else along on this walk about.
                  You live in a very beautiful place Chuck. Thank you for all of those beautiful pictures.
                  Bruce
                  In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Haven't hiked through the mountains for a number of years so thanks for bringing me along. Like most always, I didn't find a point. ☚ī¸đŸ˜„
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                    X