Eagle Nabs Osprey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle Nabs Osprey

Two majestic birds of prey, bald eagle and osprey. This full grown osprey chick fell victim to the eagle, live on the explore.org website. Pretty remarkable footage. Cam is in Maine.

The website is recommended if you like live nature cams. The bears are good at the moment. Just scroll down for menu....

Explore.org is the world's leading philanthropic live nature cam network and documentary film channel. Our mission is to champion the selfless acts of others, create a portal into the soul of humanity and inspire lifelong learning. Watch nature unfold live right now!
    Rhode Island

And the osprey cam in Bremen, Me. where the eagle predation was caught live.

Explore.org is the world's leading philanthropic live nature cam network and documentary film channel. Our mission is to champion the selfless acts of others, create a portal into the soul of humanity and inspire lifelong learning. Watch nature unfold live right now!
    Rhode Island

Comment

That's Nature, both Great Bird's.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks Charlie, The eagle / osprey video is really cool. Video cams catch some great animal behavior.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I clicked the second link which is showing brooks falls live and there are BEARS! Right now lol.
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Well there they go.

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, as long as it's daylight, there are almost always bears fishing there. At least at this time of year I guess. I really enjoy the aquarium cams as well.

Charley, many thanks for posting this. Very interesting the things we can see on these live camera set ups. If the parents were there then the eagle would never have done that. They were both likely out hunting up some chow for the family. I wonder when this scene was captured on camera. Down here on the Gulf coast, osprey chicks were fledged many, many weeks ago. A few years ago in the month of April, I was anchored out in a creek just off the Gulf Intra-coastal Waterway (ICW) in north Florida and within a hundred yards more or less of an actively used osprey nest and saw a Bald eagle fly nearby. The eggs had not hatched or the chicks were too small to see them from where I was located. One parent was perched on the nest and the other one was returning to the nest from a slightly different direction than the eagle and was flying at about the same elevation or slightly higher than the eagle. Before the eagle got anywhere near the nest both ospreys took off after the eagle and harassed it till they were all almost out of sight. Then one osprey and then the other returned to their nest. Ir reminded me of crows harassing an owl which is a common occurrence or a mockingbird harassing crows which is something I see fairly commonly down here. Some birds have natural enemies among other members of the "feathery kingdom" and in the case of bald eagles and ospreys, this video is good evidence of why. (Among other reasons is that Bald eagles often steal fish from ospreys being that ospreys are much better fish predators than are eagles.)

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            That happened within the past week. In the slo-mo of the video, you can see one of the parent ospreys trailing right behind the eagle. Too late, obviously. We only have a few eagles nesting in Rhode Island, but there were none at all when I was a lot younger. Ospreys are abundant, on the other hand.

That happened so fast, had I seen it live at the time, I might have had trouble understanding what I just saw, since it would not have been rerun when live. I thought it was a real dramatic sequence, given the angle of the camera. For the chick that flew off in the nick of time, that was it's maiden attempt at flight. Lol, jump now, or forever fold your wings!

• sailorjoe
            sailorjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Lucky you to have seen it live. Yes, it happened so quick that if you were to look away for only a few seconds and then looked back and noticed that now there was one less chick, an observer might be inclined to think, "what the heck happened to one of them? It must have tried to fly a bit too soon, as birds are apt to do, and landed on the ground and is down there flapping its wings trying to get airborne again." It's a good thing that the guys who installed the camera are monitoring closely and going back for second looks or they would have missed it. This event inspires me to elaborate a bit, because in my past life as a fishery biologist I've witnessed many predator-prey interactions. The episode kinda begs the question: I wonder if the chicks or the one that left the nest saw the eagle approaching and one reacted in the nick of time or if it was sitting there trying to work up the nerve to jump, did not see the eagle and by blind luck left the nest in the nick of time and left the eagle with the choice of one chick of two instead of three. If the chicks saw the eagle then it comes under the heading of "he who hesitates is lost." If they never saw it coming then two of them were very lucky. The one that didn't jump but was not snatched was the luckiest. LOL I've often thought that in the course of geological time the various aspects of species evolution can be partially explained by the Darwinian idea of the "survival of the fittest". (there are other things contributing to evolution but I won't get into that here). In the much shorter term of hundreds and thousands of years, survival in prey-predator situations is more often the survival of the luckiest.

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I did myself not see it live.

I think all 3 chicks saw it coming. I thought it interesting that all three seemed to know it was big trouble. One jumped, one only saw it too late, and was taken, and the one furthest right flattened itself against the nest well before the eagle arrived. The one taken seemed to have only seen the eagle at the last second. I just thought it interesting that the two that were reacting before the eagle got there knew this was not mom or dad and was to be avoided. In an instant, they knew "wrong bird, trouble". I guess they are taught early that eagles are the enemy.
        Working...
        X