Snake id help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake id help

Anyone know this snake.it was climbing my fence this morning.

Skin look's similar to pigmy but eye's don't. Probably a young rat snake or maybe even a "water snake". = Doesn't need to die lol.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

OH XXXX, IT'S A TIMBER RATTLER! Joshen You, it's eye doesn't belong to a pit viper in my opinion whatever it is.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I think that Josh is on the right track with rat snake. http://bib.ge/reptiles/open.php?id=1863 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_18888.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	222914 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_18889.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	222915
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Same pattern on head in you're link, cool.

Cute lil rat snake

Comment

Rat snake Nice markings on Rat snakes. Non venomous. Let it live.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

yup a rat snake
            the eyes and shape of the head are a give away that it is non venomous
            let him live and admire his beauty

Comment

Definitely a rat snake but not sure of the variety. I'd lean toward the Eastern Rat snake based on coloration and pattern. Nice specimen. I found one of those literally climbing up the side of our house. The house had the T-1-11 siding so it was rough enough for him to get traction. He and I were eye to eye before I realized what it was, then after cleaning my drawers, I went around to the back door so he'd have his space. ...
              Chuck
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks for info guys.he is now back in the woods.

Comment

I'm late for the wildlife show but I'm glad that it got out safely to its natural habitat. Just for future reference the pupils of rattlesnakes,cottonmouths and copperhead are elliptical. Non poisonous snakes have round shaped pupils. Of course a feller may have to have very good eyes to make that call. The color patten seems about right for a rat snake.

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
                    I'm late for the wildlife show but I'm glad that it got out safely to its natural habitat. Just for future reference the pupils of rattlesnakes,cottonmouths and copperhead are elliptical. Non poisonous snakes have round shaped pupils. Of course a feller may have to have very good eyes to make that call. The color patten seems about right for a rat snake.
                    ​I would agree on the assignation to rat snake, but I wouldn't rely on the "round pupil" rule for non-venomous snakes. Coral snakes are a notable exception in America - they have round pupils but are highly venomous. You could probably rely on "round pupils and not brightly coloured" to exclude all venomous snakes (and some non-venomous ones) in North America, but not everywhere in the world because there are other exceptions elsewhere.
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• sailorjoe
                      sailorjoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Roger. I was confining my remarks to those poisonous species people in the USA are likely to encounter. The coral snake is so secretive and its time of activity is such that it is almost never seen and because it is relatively unique with it's colorful concentric rings of red, yellow and black that I thought it unnecessary to get into a coral snake discussion. There are 4 other species in the southeastern USA with which some folks may confuse them with (scarlet king snake, red rat snake, scarlet snake and milk snake) because they too are patterned with similar concentric circles. The coral snake has a black snout and the others do not. Most people seem to have an innate fear of snakes and never handle them so it becomes a moot point about iris shape anyway. Many folks in the south just kill all snakes they see. The pupil ID is just a good way to tell whether the snake they killed was harmless or not. But the easiest way to tell the difference between 3 main species of poisonous snakes and non poisonous snakes + coral snakes is in the shape of the head which can be seen even several feet away except for very small ones. The pit vipers have squarish, blocky looking heads and the other species are round headed.

It might be a juvenile Fox Snake. We have em here and they are notorious climbers. Here is a pic of a full grown mama... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2014.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	222943 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2015.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	222944
                    The chase is better than the catch...
                    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
                    X