Saw my first Luna Moth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw my first Luna Moth

Was taking the trash out and noticed I had a visitor at my door.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Luna X.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	223220
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 08-24-2016, 07:17 AM.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Hey Mike, That's a cool picture of a luna moth. I inserted the picture for you.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
      lukecreekwalker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks...when I upload from my windows phone it doesn't work properly. Getting the new iPhone in September. Can't wait. Windows phones are a pain

N ice job! One I shot several years ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	223223
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
      Editing a comment
      Woah. A lot more color on yours. Mine was pale green but look at those "feathers" on its head! Neat creatures for sure

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree The antennae are remarkable on these critters.

They are pretty cool. Don't think we have them around here. Not sure though
    South Dakota

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
      Editing a comment
      Gary even if you haven't seen one....you've still seen a grooved artifact. That one still eludes me haha.

Gary they only live a week or two so they are kind of rare to see. They live long enough to mate. Then the cycle starts over. Depending on where you are in the US they could mate up to 4 generations in one year. They may even be more rare where you are. Being so far North and slightly west of their habitat if they do show up there they would only mate once per year. Back in CT it is said they mate twice a year. That leaves you a pretty small window to see one. I have seen two in my entire life both females both in CT. I have yet to see one in TN. I know people who have seen many but I think they had trapped them in an indoor screen area during mating so they would come back each cycle.
    Last edited by Hoss; 08-30-2016, 09:33 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Luke yours may have been closer to the end of its cycle of life. Perhaps that is why the color is more pale. I think they are both mine and yours female examples. I love shooting insects in macro. You never need to get signed modeling agreement.
      Tiger Swallow Tail I shot in May 2004 back in CT. Click image for larger version

Name:	buckeye.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	223975
      Buckeye with chewed up wings probably had a bird trying to eat it. East TN 2009.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	teemwork.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	223976
      These were working a spot I used to walk at in CT. all of these photos where with a point and shoot camera. The one in 2004 was a Canon Sure shot A 70 the macro on that camera was incredible unfortunately I dunked it into the West Branch of the Delaware river one summer while trout fishing. The other two pics were shot with a SOny DSC I cannot remember the full model I gave the camera to a friend on the forum.
      Last edited by Hoss; 08-30-2016, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
        Editing a comment
        I've thought about getting a good insitu camera. All the ones you all see here are from my HTC one windows phone. Not the best but it will do the job. Camera maybe a good Christmas gift to myself. I thought that second pic was a bumblebee. Never seen a moth like that around here. I am sure they are around though

ive seen only 2-3 lunar moths myself, i didnt realize they were that rare Hoss! i love how "ethereal" looking they are.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I have seen lots of Luna Moths in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. However I haven't seen any since we got rid of the skeeter zapper. LOL At one time I had a moth collection. The moths would come to the skeeter zapper but were too big to get through the screen. They would just hang out on the outside of the screen. In the morning If I saw any moths that I didn't have in my collection I would gather them.

I can't explain the feeling but there is something very satisfying about hearing a mosquito fry. BTW The UPs state bird is the mosquito.
        Last edited by Ron Kelley; 09-01-2016, 08:45 AM.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• lukecreekwalker
          Editing a comment
          Escanaba in the moonlight was on the outdoor channel last weekend. Couldn't help but think of you lol. Never heard f a yooper until this forum. Strange movie haha.

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Mike, I watched it on the internet. We visit five or six camps during the gun deer season. We live it.

You got some pretty country up there that's for sure
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Working...
        X