Wild Wolf Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Wolf Release

Seen this and thought it would be something good to share.
    [YT]XME2JXwd__8[/YT]
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Shouldn't have watched this. 😢
    I realize trapping is a way of life for some folks but I empathize with the animal who's clearly in pain and howling for his pack.
    Child of the tides

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Wasn't that bad, but The Group of Guy's have released a few more since that video. I thought it was pretty cool a group of People that are apparently into Wolf Hunting shows how Thy can be good to Wolves too. That Wolf became even more smart that day. I imagine he caught up with his pack and did just fine.

i am all for hunting and trapping animals,even wolves
    but i am also very ethical in my hunting

glad to see these guys did the right thing and let that wolf go free seeing as their wolf season was over

most folks,even a bunch i know would apply the three s's in that situation(which i dont believe in)

the three s's for those that dont know are shoot shovel and shut up about it

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Was abut to google the threes's, ha. I don't know about hunting them, seems too much like a Dog though obviously wild. But they have that fur that some like on themselves more (jealousy? lol) and some people have livestock which is more understandable. My Dad trapped and hunted, coons and mink mainly though wasn't my thing.
      Last edited by JoshinMO; 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM.

Glad to see he was released because their season was over. Like sneaky says It's the ones we don't see that bothers me. Living here in the mountains, I've come to understand a couple of things about wolves and coyotes, every encounter they have with humans is a learning experience that they seldom repeat. They're extremely smart and the trappers have to be much smarter to catch them. As their populations increase, we'll wind up back in the bounty hunting just like they had when I was a kid. Seems to be a repeating cycle. Thanks for the link, Josh...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Josh, here in MN we had a wolf season for three years before the anti-hunters and animal rights groups got them put back on the endangered lists
      i did take part in the hunt two of the three years(it was done on a lottery basis) but never did get to fill a tag

we also have the largest wolf population in the lower 48 states
      in my state the northern half is the wolf range
      but packs have been spotted as far south as the minneapolis/st paul areas.
      in the north our deer herds have shrunk along with our moose population ever since the wolf population has increased.
      not to mention the cattle and sheep farmers in the north suffer great losses every year due to the wolves.
      i hunted way up north in Mn this past deer season.between three of us we filled one tag,and seen only three deer in three weeks.but we found fresh wolf tracks every day.

what most people dont realize is that wolves will kill just to kill and will leave the carcass to rot with out consuming any of it.
      they do this to train the young ones how to hunt as pack member.

some people think wolves are harmless and are more afraid of man than we are of them
      i say nay to that notion.
      ask the 17 year old boy who was grabbed by the head from a wolf and dragged in to the woods from the shore line of the lake he was fishing.or the many hunters that get treed from packs of wolves every year while out hunting deer in my state.these wolves arent afraid of any thing.the hunters that get treed will shoot at the wolves to try and scare them away,but it doesnt scare them off.
      ask the lady jogger up in Alaska(if i remember right)who was killed by a wolf while she was out jogging.research and you will find many many stories like this.

i am not for the decimation of the wolf but i am for the control of the size of the population of them.if this is done correctly then there will be plenty of them them left.

would i still love another chance at hunting them and getting me my wolf rug that i want,damn straight i would.but unlike other hunters i would also be willing to eat the meat(or at least try it)

just my two cents worth on the subject

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        They don't really have any natural predators so I understand how their numbers have to be managed. I think if I came across one with an aggressive attitude (probably all have) in the wild without protection i'd need a new pair of drawers at the very least. They aren't small for sure! Being from Missouri I don't know how it is to live around them.

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree Sneaky - Unfortunately man always screws it up. The Red Wolf was reintroduced from the northern states down into Florida and over, I believe, as far west as Tennessee. The Red Wolf was on the endangered list but now it's on a come-back that will eventually result if exactly what you've said. Since they have only man as their predator, they will repopulate quickly and overrun the area to the detriment of our deer and elk population. Although coyotes are more prevalent where I live, I have seen wolves and heard them. The good ole government will eventually initiate a wolf hunt season to reduce the population. It just never seems to end. ...Chuck

Hi Josh, Interesting video. Thanks for posting it. I wonder what month that video was made and in what state. The guy said the season was over. I am thinking he meant wolf season or trapping season in general. And I'm wondering why if the season was over then why did he have wolf traps set. Except for beaver where sets are made in water I've never heard of selectively opening seasons for different furbearer species. Wolves are usually trapped with larger/stronger traps than are set for foxes, bobcats, etc. I guess this animal could have got caught with a fox trap. Why I ask about the month is that wolf's coat seemed to be far from prime condition, at least by Alaska standards. And it seems that it would be illegal to set traps out of season. Also, what these guys are doing when they aren't making videos is one thing, what they may do when no one else is looking may be entirely different. Another angle that just came to mind is the fact that the guy has the proper gear to release wolves unharmed makes me think that whatever state it is has a trapping season but the one for wolves is shorter and that trappers must carry a device for releasing them. Such a law to protect wolves seems to me would cause the State to deny the use of snares or conibear traps. Just some thinking out loud that I was doing after seeing that video. I've never come upon a wolf that has been trapped but my son and many of my friends have. All reports are that they are always docile and easy to dispatch with a small handgun. This is apparently not the case with wolverines.

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Joe, most of what your asking i'm unsure of but in the video description it says northern wisconsin and the video was uploaded in late October. I can't speak for those Guys but maybe they had Coyote traps out (in MO their in season about 3/4 of the year), but i really don't know. Most People wouldn't intentionally trap a wolf out of season so i doubt they did that. His coat should be coming in around that time, but i don't live with them or know. Ha. Thanks
        Last edited by JoshinMO; 01-23-2017, 01:49 PM.

Just a few of my thoughts:
      1. People who don't live with wolves have no clue what the animal is.
      2. There are people who will always try to mislead you about the animal.
      3. Wolves have no inborn fear of man. Wolves fear man only because men kill them.
      4. When the wolf lacks the fear of man the wolf is a dangerous critter.
      5. Wolf packs kill and eat bears ( Are you meaner than a bear?)
      6. If you live in an area with a wolf population please carry protection.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Ron, Sorry if I wrote something I shouldn't have.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Josh, We are in agreement. When I mentioned people misleading us about the animal I was referring to a couple of groups not on this site. I choose not to name them.

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, I see.

I can only speak for my state, Virginia, and eastern NC. Here the deer population has exploded. We kill more deer on the roadways each year than are taken by hunters & coyotes combined. By trapping coyotes, considered nuisances, and the few bobcats still around, the balance has been upset.
      In northeastern NC they tried restoring the red wolf, a native to the pocosin swamps and maritime forests. Unfortunately the red wolves were often mistaken for coyotes & shot. Some were deliberately killed within the boundaries of the preserve. NC has now discontinued the program; a loss of a regional species & a predator that helped control deer and mammal over-populations.
      As for domesticate livestock, predators are opportunistic. If livestock & fowl are not adequately housed or properly protected, any predator is a threat, including man.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Seem's like a good scope could have helped some tell the difference. It's a shame about some things but there is also some good out there too.

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not realize that our red wolf reintroduction program had failed till I read your post. I have gone to hear them howl kind of sad to see them go. Are there anymore wild red wolves? Thats two failures Tenn GSNP and Eastern NC don't think they will try again.

I am a hunter and have nothing against taking a wolf legally when the population can support it. I also believe that wolves are a natural checks and balances for our natural systems. I personally would not hunt them but would not criticize someone who does. I am not sure if I am right here but I believe in the last 100 years in the lower 48 there has not been any fatalities from wolves maybe one? I know Canada has had one or two as well as Alaska. Not including rabid Wolves.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Ron, I agree. Experience molds our thoughts and reactions to everything & everyone we encounter. That's why my comments only reflect my personal experiences here in the east. Having said that, I believe man is the biggest predator of all and sadly the wolf is not the only species who kills for pleasure.

Last edited by Havenhunter; 01-23-2017, 03:41 PM.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Deb, I have a great respect and am in awe of all wildlife. I saw a video of a mother placing her child on the back of a black bear to take a picture. I saw a video of a man attempting to pet a bull bison in Yellowstone Park. Things like that send chills down my spine. My hope is that all people will be educated to the fact that these are wild animals. I spend a lot of time with wildlife. I enjoy viewing them and never forget that they are wild.

Great video judging from the hole in the dirt mound it would be a great place to stick a conibear trap. The Wolf probably just stuck its paw in and tripped it.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Matt, At the beginning of the video they mention that the wolf is being held by a foot-hold trap. In Michigan it is illegal to place a conibear trap on dry land. One of my Beagles was caught in a foot-hold trap and he was not hurt.

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Ron. I forgot that the conibear is made for underwater sets.

Ron, you & I are of like minds. As mankind distants itself from the natural world, the less common sense we seem to retain. One of my neighbor's contracted rabies by feeding raccoons and then handling the contaminated feeding bowls with a small open wound on a finger. Another was bitten by a copperhead trying to pick it up.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are good examples Deb. The men who released the wolf really knew what they were doing. Did you notice that he had the group pick one spot and huddle together? Whenever we pull the hounds off a treed bear we do likewise giving the bear a vast area to escape without encountering men or hounds.
      Working...
      X