"We Buy Arrowheads FAQ" states...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We Buy Arrowheads FAQ" states...

"Q: Is it legal to buy and sell Native American artifacts?

A: Yes, as long as the items were found in accordance with state and federal laws, they are completely legal to buy, sell, and trade. Please review YOUR STATE’S LAWS if you are in question about the legality of what you are selling. By submitting artifacts to us, you certify that the artifacts were legally obtained in accordance to all federal and state laws"

If migratory bird or eagle feather artifacts were 'found' prior to Fed Endangered Species Act, it is illegal to sell them today. True?
    Cayuga County, NY Finger Lakes Region

FYI We don't buy and sell artifacts on this forum.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I understand that. I am in no way soliciting commerce. I am asking for information about a FAQ on on this website, under the ''We Buy Arrowheads' tab at the top of the page.

Comment

Ha, that "Banner" used to bug Me. Long ago this site (probably different Owners then) did buy Arrowheads. Maybe Sam owned It back then but I called The (then) Number and talked with a Guy named Karl or Carl answered. He was a really nice Guy and We talked quite a bit a couple time's. I had a point and He ended up with it, I was very pleased with what I ended up with. He's in member's list still I think but probably hasn't been on the site since like 2010 maybe. I have been on this Arrowheads.com forum for about as long as another dozen or less of Guy's have been that still are here. Anyway, It may just be a banner to attract buyers and seller's to the sponsored Store's.
        Last edited by JoshinMO; 01-25-2018, 09:57 AM. Reason: fix
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Right, JoshinMo. That Banner or Tab still solicits commerce. It is part of the arrowheads.com web site. No problem with me. However, I believe it gives incomplete and misleading information, if I understand the law properly. I am completely open to the fact that I may not.
          Last edited by Cmcramer; 01-25-2018, 10:05 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Nothing wrong with asking. I said more than necessary, just reminiscing. I don't think there are any law's against saying You buy Arrowhead's though. Anyone that bother's should get over It.

Law looks pretty specific there. https://www.fws.gov/eaglerepository/...sFactSheet.pdf To answer your question no you may not sell them. It is illegal.
          Last edited by Hoss; 01-25-2018, 02:01 PM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Right, Hoss. So this answer to the FAQ, "Yes, as long as the items were found in accordance with state and federal laws, they are completely legal to buy, sell, and trade" is false. I 'found' eagle feather artifacts from 1900 in Granny's attic. Any laws broken? No. May I legally sell them? No.

All I'm saying here is that for a Discussion Board dedicated to Native American artifacts, the Answer ought to be a bit more nuanced. But I am sincerely open to education on the matter.

Maybe this is because I recently read : Plunder of the Ancients: A True Story of Betrayal, Redemption, and an Undercover Quest to Recover Sacred Native American Artifacts
            Last edited by Cmcramer; 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM. Reason: added book title

Comment

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I will bring it to the attention of the owner of arrowheads.com however that link does say "We BUy Arrowheads" It does not say that they buy every artifact out there. Nuance is a nice word man almost sounds like nuisance. Seems to me you knew the answer before you asked it!

The link says 'arrowheads' but the FAQ says 'artifacts.' A nuance that could end up being more than a nuisance. Appreciate your good natured response!

Comment

OK, I feel like "The Stupid one". Why are We talking about Eagle Feather's also?
              Last edited by JoshinMO; 01-26-2018, 06:05 PM. Reason: Correction.

Comment

Wait, I got it. Like, on a side note i guess.

Comment

Eagle feather is just an example. Could have used crow feather, hawk feather, or woodpecker feather as an example. Thought maybe I could bring a little awareness about migratory bird and eagle feathers as 'artifacts', that's all. https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...659-2017-recap

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal regulations. The migratory bird species protected by the Act are listed in 50 CFR 10.13.

Comment

• JoshinMO
                    JoshinMO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm getting too old for all these new law's. I know about Raptor/Bird's of Prey Law's but so many Bird's migrate. Thank's for filling Me on The Bird Feather Thing though, I thought We were talking about this Site Buying Arrowheads but both I wasn't sure why (still not really) Bird Feathers were mentioned, example right. Last thing I want to do is give My Homie a guilt trip about some Woodpecker feathers He said He picked up...
                    Last edited by JoshinMO; 01-27-2018, 08:33 AM. Reason: fix

Maybe we should send the poster of the pics with feathers a PM letting him kindly know he may be braking the law. Maybe we should make a comment on his thread so he can be made aware of his possible transgression. Or better yet maybe we should contact the feather police!
                  Agree, breaking the law is a no no and we here frown upon it. Somehow this got under the radar. Thank you for your diligence.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The feather police are also known as the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

Comment

Wow so picking up a shed migratory bird feather and sticking in my cap is breaking the law? I thought we were talking about feathers used in actual artifacts being illegal to sell? So possessing a Crow, Hawk or Woodpecker feather is also illegal?

By all means we want to abide by all laws here on the forum. Doesn't stop me from thinking that picking up a shed feather and sticking it in my cap being illegal is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I get the not selling and transporting or marketing and things that directly put those species in peril. But picking up and possessing a shed migratory birds feather gets you fined??? Cmcramer thanks for pointing all that out, although you left me quite confused for a while as to what your intentions were.
                      Last edited by Kyflintguy; 01-27-2018, 09:25 AM.
                      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

It has been posted before on arrowheads.com. If there is a post with feathers I must have missed it. I have brought it up at least twice in the last 8 years here.

A book that I am reading mentions the use of eagle bone war whistles. I have heard of their use before and was wanting to see if anyone happened to have one or has

Any ideas on value of these items? Found them in a storage unit I won at an auction. I have a lot more items. The white pipe has etched on the bottom
                        Last edited by Hoss; 01-27-2018, 02:48 PM.
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                        X