Fort discovered in Norwalk Ct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort discovered in Norwalk Ct

Not much of an article but finding forts this old is important. These forts were the first places europeans put a foot print destroying what came recently prior. It makes the late woodland /historic period very rare finds in the Eastern states. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...FlowFB_CTBrand
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Morning Matt that's something man half an hour from me...the CT. Archeologist is involved.thats good ..thanks for the heads up very interesting....u mean theyre saying thousands of artufacts...wow
    SW Connecticut

Comment

I love stuff like this, particularly because we are talking, at least in part, about the Contact Era between Europeans and southern New England natives. I think it's a shame that the fort itself will not be preserved, as they are quite rare, although there are a number of forts, dating from the Contact Era on Long Island, and in Ct. and RI.

Here is an informative article about those forts, and a map showing their location:

https://orb.binghamton.edu/cgi/viewc...9&context=neha

One of the very best preserved of all the 17th century forts in southern New England is Fort Ninigret, located in Charlestown, RI, above the north shore of Ninigret Pond, a salt pond/inlet, on the Atlantic, and named for Ninigret, a 17th century sachem of the Eastern Niantics. This is a wonderful place to visit, with the earth works and European style bastions still visible. It may have been part of the Dutch trading network in the early 1600's. Here is the Wikipedia entry with photos of Fort Ninigret. Anytime I have visited, I have been the only person there. It's a blessing, I believe, to be able to visit such preserved sites from the Contact Era:

Here is another article describing this important Connecticut discovery, including three videos:

https://www.nancyonnorwalk.com/2018/...-fort-remains/

Edit: well, I guess the remains of the fort itself is not preserved in any event, but merely stain traces of where the wooden structure was located. Still, always noteworthy when sites from this time period are discovered...
      Last edited by CMD; 08-11-2018, 11:26 AM.
      Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for looking that up Charlie it adds a lot to the article. Awesome awesome awesom. is all I can say.
        Last edited by Hoss; 08-12-2018, 07:06 PM.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Matt. Awesome it is!!

• Olden
        Olden commented
        Editing a comment
        Lots of interesting info. - I like that running fence that outlines the perimeter of Fort Ninigret. Thanks Guys!

Man, the next big thing! I can't wait till they start to release photos of what they found.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

This was a very interesting post Hoss . I to enjoy reading about our first contacts and am forever researching .
        I always say the past is buried under our cities . So in 1000 years when these building are crumbling a new generation of people will be finding artifacts that cannot walk down creeks and fields like us now .

Comment

redrocks, if you've never been there, Ft. Shantok in the Norwich area is a special place to visit, IMHO. Associated with Uncas, who was such an important figure in the history of the politics of Native-English relations in 17th century New England. There are places in RI, Ma., and Ct. where you can be, and know personages from the history of that time, themselves walked. It's been years, but I recall it was a beautiful location. Another special place.

Rhode Island

Comment

Hey CMD thanks for the info ....my buddy lives in Charlestown RI...and I'm gonna be going up there soon ...now that Ninigret park is on my mind ....I think I went to a music festival There yrs ago when I was wiring his house.... I wanna find an artifact in RI..man ....Jay had said a while back the salt ponds are a good shot at finding something ...
            ​​​​
            ​​​​​
            ​​​​​​
            SW Connecticut

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Ninigret Park includes an old air field, and that's where the music festivals are held, I believe around Labor Day. Cajun, etc. The park that includes Ft. Ninigret is a different park, but is nearby.

Thanks for posting Hoss. Ya know - in all the time I spent in Connecticut and Rhode Island, not once did I stop to think about all the history that I was surrounded by. These two states are packed with colonial history. Charlie - I'm gonna take some time when we get back up there to visit some of these places. Thanks for all the info.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
              OnewiththewilD commented
              Editing a comment
              There’s a small building just down the road from me called The Tide Mill that dates back to the 1650’s. It was originally a grist Mill, R.i. is one big historical site
          Working...
          X