New England ASAA Meeting 12/1/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England ASAA Meeting 12/1/18

Sorry for last minute notice, but if you're in the neighborhood, stop by...

American Society for Amateur Archaeology—New England Chapter

SATURDAY, Dec. 1, 2018

TIME: 12-3 P.M.

PLACE: South Shore Natural Science Center 48 Jacobs Lane, Norwell, MA.(Please see our website)

asaa-persimmonpress.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, asaa-persimmonpress.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Presentation:

​​​"CEDAR FORK CREEK:

​​A Man-Mastodon Association in North-Central Ohio"

ASAA organizer Dr. Richard Michael Gramly will be our guest speaker. Dr. Gramly, who has worked extensively with mastodon remains in recent years will present a synopsis of new and important discoveries and insights about Ohio’s first indubitable man-mastodon site.

Also, always: SHOW AND TELL, and EXPERT IDENTIFICATION

PLEASE BRING YOUR ARTIFACTS!!

Invite your friends!

PUBLIC ALWAYS WELCOME! FREE ADMISSION!
    Last edited by CMD; 12-02-2018, 02:14 PM.
    Rhode Island

I don't think I can make it up there this year. :-) Give me two or three years, and i'll finally be able to meet yous guys!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Thanks for the Heads-up Charlie. Would love to be there.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Me to

Comment

Well, Dr. Mike Gramly always delivers informative and highly entertaining talks. Terry(TSUMS) was there and offered me $10,000 for my North River, Ma fluted point Too bad I left it at home. Mike's talk was about his latest project, the Cedar Fork Creek site, a man-mastodon association in North-Central Ohio. With a comparison to the Bowser Road site and Hiscock site, both man-mastodon sites in New York. Mike has developed a model to make it easier to find such mastodon sites. The Hiscock site is believed to contain the remains of 40-60 mastodons, and Mike called it the most important man-megafauna site so far known in North America. Mike also argues that for one region in particular, New England, organized predation by human beings caused the extinction of mastodons. It is his belief that Clovis hunters did not depend on mastodon for dietary reasons, but that each band killed one mastodon every 7-9 years, and for ceremonial reasons primarily. People will, and do, differ on these hypothesis, but Mike always presents a well thought out argument.

I attended with an artifact hunting partner and his wife. We look forward to a talk by Dr. Duncan Caldwell next year, regarding how Henry Thoreau collected many artifacts while living on Walden Pond. He called arrowheads "fossil thoughts".

I'm not sure who brought this display, or where it was from. But, wow...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1718.JPG Views:	1 Size:	142.3 KB ID:	335555

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1720.JPG Views:	1 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	335557

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_51516.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	335556
          Rhode Island

Comment

What is the model that Dr gramly came up with? Has he published it or is it a guarded secret proprietary kinda thing?
            Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
              What is the model that Dr gramly came up with? Has he published it or is it a guarded secret proprietary kinda thing?
              No, it's actually common sense and elementary. Since he handed out copies yesterday of the paper he delivered on Cedar Fork Creek, Ohio, at the last Eastern States Federation meeting, I'm sure he won't mind me sharing the brief section dealing with your question. Basically, it concerns a mastadon's need for a pretty sizable intake of water on a daily basis, and the location of their expected access to water where the ice will be at its thinnest on frozen ponds in Winter.

Name:	IMG_1733.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	335599

Name:	IMG_1737.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	335600
              Rhode Island

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                Broken Arrow commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that's about as elementary as it gets.

I'm disappointed that I was unable to attend the meeting as I had a project at home that needed to be finished. I would have loved to hear Dr Gramly speak, and I would have loved to say "Hi" to you Charlie.

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Alan. I was sorry to see you were not able to make it. It had been quite awhile since I had made it myself. Next time, Alan!

Damn i dont know how i missed this post, i live near by. When is the next one?
              Massachusetts

Comment

Originally posted by chiefwompatuck View Post
                Damn i dont know how i missed this post, i live near by. When is the next one?
                The next two will be in March and June, 2019. I know in June the talk will be about the collection Henry Thoreau put together while he lived at Walden Pond. I will post a meeting notice well beforehand next time. I posted at the last minute this time, in part, I confess, because I did not realize I would be able to attend myself until last minute.

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                X