Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare artifacts MAJOR exhibit Marco Island Historical Museum now through April 3, 2021.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare artifacts MAJOR exhibit Marco Island Historical Museum now through April 3, 2021.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	356552 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	356551 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	356550 Over a hundred years ago early Archies dug out a fantastic mucky site on Marco Island FL with many perishable artifacts found. The artifacts were taken out of state at the time. They are returning on loan to Marco Island Historical Museum (about 2.5 hours South of me). This is bucket-list level for me!

The world-famous Key Marco Cat, one of the finest pieces of Pre-Columbian Native American art ever discovered in North America, and other rare artifacts discovered on Marco Island in 1896 are showcased in a major exhibit at the Marco Island Historical Museum now through April 3, 2021.

Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Thanks Tom, That's some fantastic artwork. What is the material of the cat-man? Is that wood?
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Many objects were painted and came out of the muck Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	356616 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	356617 with the color intact. Those of us who fossil hunt or find artifacts in rivers often see colors drain away once they are exposed and they knew squat about preserving colors. In the case of the loggerhead and other finds, an artist Wells Sawyer made watercolors of the objects which is all we have left of the original look now.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Those are amazing!
      South Carolina

Comment

Thanks Tom......I live just north of Naples and will absolutely see this next week!

Comment

• tomclark
          tomclark commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, us too. Sooner the better, lol. Can't wait to see those particular pieces in person.

I'll have to make it over to see these when we are back in South Florida over the summer.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
        X