Special New England ASAA Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special New England ASAA Meeting

I put "special" in the title because one, Duncan is one of the most interesting archaeologists I know, a very entertaining speaker, and two, the subject matter is largely unknown to most collectors, regarding one of America's most famous 19th century authors and a passionate devotee of what he called "arrowheading". Who knew? Hope to see our New England members there, it should be a great day!

American Society for Amateur Archaeology—New England Chapter

SATURDAY, June 29, 2019

TIME: 12-3 P.M.

PLACE: South Shore Natural Science Center 48 Jacobs Lane, Norwell, MA.(Please see our website)

asaa-persimmonpress.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, asaa-persimmonpress.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Presentation:

“Mind Prints, Arrowheads, the Indians & Thoreau”

ASAA member and archaeologist Duncan Caldwell will be our guest speaker.

(His lecture was originally presented on May 4, 2018 at the University of Gothenburg.) The presentation will move from an examination of Henry David Thoreau’s relationship with prehistoric artifacts to a demonstration of the ways that collecting them affected his relationship with the natural world, time, and Native Americans. It will show that artifact hunting—or “arrowheading” as Thoreau called it—changed his thinking so radically that he moved from seeing the "American Race” as being doomed to seeing it as enduring. More importantly, it will show that he died with a cry against the persecution of Native Americans on his lips. Those words would have taken the form of a book in one-to-three volumes that he was planning to write about “arrowheading,” but which would have been as limited to the subject of artifacts as Walden was to describing a pond. Luckily, he left enough journal entries and other texts to reconstruct both the ways arrowheading altered his thinking and the scope of the book, which would have become a monument that would have changed how Thoreau is perceived today.

Also, always: SHOW AND TELL, and EXPERT IDENTIFICATION

PLEASE BRING YOUR ARTIFACTS!!

Invite your friends!

PUBLIC ALWAYS WELCOME! FREE ADMISSION!
    Rhode Island

Looks to be interesting and fun! Enjoy 👍

Comment

I have said it before, I'll say it again: I will be there one day!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking forward to that day, Ethan!

It's killing me that I can't make that meeting. Our kids gave us a "weekend get-away" for that Saturday. I hate it when they do something nice for us. lol -

Comment

Working...
      X