Bud Goodwin collection is being auctioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bud Goodwin collection is being auctioned

The Bud Goodwin collection is being auctioned on 7/14/19 with No Reserve. I believe you can enter an absentee bid before the actual bidding starts also. Here is a link.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

The Bud Goodwin Collection is certainly an awesome collection. On a side note I see that he had a large number of so called "Cobbs Blades". Something I have never understood: Since the Cobbs Blade is believed to be a preform why is it listed as a "Type" ???
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      I think people are split on Cobbs. Some people swear that Cobbs are simply unnotched dovetails and other early archaic points, but there are plenty of Cobbs that are beveled and resharpened. (And most Cobbs aren't something you can just notch and end up with a classic Dovetail/Lost Lake or Thebes point, they would need a lot of rework from that wide base down to the right base. Nor can you fill in the notches and end up with a Cobbs shaped blade.)

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Joshua, I don't think the Cobbs Blade is a preform and you make a good argument. Just to add a little to your argument: Caches of Cobbs Blades have been found. It makes no sense to me that someone would knapp a large number of very fine thin Cobbs blades and leave them unfinished.

I was excited looking at the artifacts until I got to # 0110
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      My guess is that piece will be one of the more expensive pieces at the auction. Bud had a well known collection of polished points, flint lizards, bird and human flint effigies. Not the same as the flint thunderbirds fwiw.

It is an impressive collection and I bet there will be some deals to be had somewhere in there.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

So, for a guy who’s never bought an artifact, would this be a good example of a trusted, authentic collection?

i looked long and hard at some of that stuff, and was thinking about bidding on some of it. Some of the things I know I’ll never see here, but would love to own an example of...
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel like it is but was wanting some I.put from the more experienced buyers and people knowledgeable about this collection. Some of those pieces will be way out of my range but some of those lots near the end Might be attainable for me. Those nodena were calling my name

So I wonder what the chances are of getting some of them at a reasonable price?
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m going to have to find out. I’m going to bid on some of those bird groups in the later pages.

May throw a bid or two out on a couple of the bigger, fancier pieces also.

BI was wondering if it says $10 on screen and then you bid does that mean you pay $20? Or do you just type total bid . Does that make any sense? I’ve never done a auction before
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure. I think you can start with a bid of 10

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        If it is like an ebay auction, wait until the final 15 seconds or so to bid. Bid the highest amount of money you are willing to spend, like $100. If the guy who was second place bid $50, you pay $50. On ebay, you pay what the second place loser was going to pay.

Well , I collect some of the things he has in there . The art and Chinese bowls are getting me .
      as far as artifacts go ,,there just has to be a story that goes with it . An experience or a friend .
      Except an effigy

Comment

It will be interesting to see what the Omar brings. #397
        Michigan Yooper

Comment

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a "paint pot" very similar to that Ron...

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Frank, The one pictured here is a natural Omar.

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Ron...just foolin about. Its an omar that I was given a while back. It now serves as a dragonfly/butterfly waterer in the flowers. When I looked at #397 and read the description it made me laugh a bit.

Oh gosh not going back was that the pottery Ron ?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Tam, It's a natural stone with a half sphere hole in it.

Ok got it ..
        somone might as we’ll document a of these for examples for the site . Wish I had my computers back .

Comment

Native American "paint pot"/"fire starter"...the ancient tool that did it all...lol... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	377339
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Frank, On the internet I have trouble knowing if someone is serious or if they are joking. What are you showing us?

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL OK Frank, I kinda thought you were kidding. I use the one I showed as a palm stone in making friction fires.

I love everything I see in there! I can't even afford a flake right now, lol!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Did you happen to notice this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Omar 4.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	377442
            Michigan Yooper

Comment

My only aim here is to inform.
              Here are some pictures of one of my natural Omars.
              Make special note of the small cavities:

Name:	Omar B1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	377445

Name:	Omar B2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	377446
              Michigan Yooper