• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England Meeting/Nevada Lithic

American Society for Amateur Archaeology—New England Chapter

SATURDAY, Sept. 21,2019

TIME: 12-3 P.M.

PLACE: South Shore Natural Science Center 48 Jacobs Lane, Norwell, MA.(Please see our website)

asaa-persimmonpress.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, asaa-persimmonpress.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

ASAA Organizer Dr. R. Michael Gramly will offer a presentation:

The Hole-in-the-Wall Agate Source: Inter- and Intra-Regional Movement of a Rare Raw Material

Dr. Gramly notes: “A heretofore unknown lithic source in remote north-central Nevada (Churchill County) is proving to be important within the Great Basin and much farther afield -- as far east as the confluence of the Wabash and Ohio Rivers!”

Artifacts discovered among the famous East Wenatchee Clovis cache in Washington state, at which Dr. Gramly was instrumental in the excavations, appear to have been made of this same showy lithic material, and it has even been identified in Hopewell culture artifacts in Ohio. Remarkable indeed!

Also, always: SHOW AND TELL, and EXPERT IDENTIFICATION

PLEASE BRING YOUR ARTIFACTS!!

Invite your friends!

PUBLIC ALWAYS WELCOME! FREE ADMISSION!

Rhode Island

Not surprising, I have found a half dozen pieces of Obsidian here in NW Indiana.
    Should be an interesting presentation.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Just bumping this up for our New England members, as the meeting is tomorrow. Unfortunetly, I'm ill and can't make it this time. Mike Gramly had a whole bucket full of this lithic from Nevada at our last meeting, that people could obtain, and I imagine he will again.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
        Not surprising, I have found a half dozen pieces of Obsidian here in NW Indiana.
        Neat, I know if one piece found near Walkerton (South Bend area) but that is the only one. That piece was identified as coming from Yellowstone, my guess is yours probably came over around the same time.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
          I remember years ago, one of our old timers, long since passed away, found an obsidian point in Attleboro, Ma. But who knows how it really got there, and I forget the style. But I just found this article, although it too cannot be used as proof of such prehistoric trade into New England. I don't think anybody would really be surprised, but the evidence is still not good enough....

JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary sources.

Rhode Island

Comment

Fred brings it down out of the mountains, Greg takes it in trade, Charlie from out East sees it and Greg trades with him. Obviously didn't happen often but how did these get there?
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
            X