• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clovis cache

Not too far from me. Gives me hope.

https://www.wksu.org/arts-culture/20...-north-america
    Central Ohio

Thats pretty cool....no telling how much stuff is out there unearthed in the forests
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Interesting read. When I first looked at the pictures, I thought that they are a bit crude to be Clovis. Then I read that they are not finished pieces. Still interesting to see an earlier stage.
      South Carolina

Comment

Someone take a screen shot and post it I’d like to see them
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Olden. Full shot. Missed that one.

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Still won’t click on a link huh Glen ? Might as well dive in with the rest of us, not so much malicious malware out there like it use to be Sir. The hackers aren’t looking to cripple your software so much as they are looking for info to make money. The malware gets in their way and they are into everyone’s devices .....

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Taking no chances 😎

Your days coming, keep on the hunt..
        they get ya when you least expect it….✌️
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

For Surface. Pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210610_215845_resize_67.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	562374Click image for larger version

Name:	20210610_215905_resize_71.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	562375
          Central Ohio

Comment

One of my goals is to find a cache of any type artifact. Cool post flint.
            🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• zenjojo
              zenjojo commented
              Editing a comment
              Does that include debitage?

• antmike915
              antmike915 commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol, negative.

Geez. My chickens just scratched up one (and I couldn’t scratch up any more). Maybe, I need a turkey?
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• flintguy
              flintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              I forgot to make note of that just for you. Yes, found because of some restless turkeys. Your hunting style has serious potential Cecilia.

Those two words got my heart pounding! The place is on a little creek that eventually gets to the Ohio River, then Mississippi far down stream. I suspect the people were on foot. I always checked the ground after a rain when I kept chickens lol never found anything, but THIS find is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
            New Jersey

Comment

It's a great Cache find but why is that Clovis?
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                They also state, at the very start of their paper “ By some key measures it is consistent with Clovis, but the case remains unproven.”

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                I read all of that twice over. It's wishful thinking and what is the evidence?

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                When the guy calls that thinning flake a flute he certainly doesn't gain my confidence.

great discovery ,i know this is a bit off the topic when i was young i would spend the summer working in my uncles apple orchard in wenatchee and when we were done for the day we would ride dirt bikes and our trail went right over where they found the wenatchee clovis cache years later , if i only knew what i know now.
              Wyoming

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
                Narrow Way Knapper commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow Bret, that's quite a story. If only...

• clovisoid
                clovisoid commented
                Editing a comment
                That is absolutely cool, only a couple of feet from one of the most amazing caches. I have resin casts of a couple of the bifaces, and they are simply amazing.

The dilemma with finding a cache like that now is that almost no one would believe the finder. I'd still love to find one, but there would always be a very public contingent of people who would claim fraud.

Great listening to this . Thank you for posting .
              We do run to animal digs .

Comment

Seems like several people have picked up on the "what makes them Clovis" question, even the authors to some degree. I certainly wouldn't have thought they were Clovis, or even paleo for that matter. If it were a Clovis cache, it would be unique among the recognized caches for several reasons.

If you google Coshocton Cache you can see pictures of small triangular Coshocton biface caches. Most of them tend to be triangle lances, but they can come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Coshocton Caches aren't common finds, but as far as caches go in Ohio & Indiana they are probably the most common type. Coshocton from some of the outcrops comes in pretty small chunks, and groups made small bifaces from small pieces and left the area with them. They typically aren't finely made, nor are they big, ceremonial pieces (like many of the Adena & Hopewell biface caches), they are more like the equivalent of stocking up on toilet paper at Sam's Club/Costco. Personally, that's what I think the authors of the paper have here, a much later utilitarian cache like the dozens and dozens of others that have been found and reported in several journals by collectors and analyzed by professionals over the years.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• beatup1354
                  beatup1354 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  there was a cache of bifaces and blades dug up not to long ago in colorado by landscapers working at a home most was green river chert no classic clovis points but their utility type of tools were found the interesting thing i recall about it was when the did a dna workup on the tools they found blood of the types of animals they hunted

• clovisoid
                  clovisoid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup, I've seen that cache, I believe it's the Busse Cache. No Clovis points, but plenty of Clovis technology and the classic patter of very large tools because they were working biface cores. There are a couple of caches/reported caches like that.
                  Last edited by clovisoid; 06-15-2021, 05:02 PM.

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought the same thing when i saw it. I think some archaeologists like to generate excitement in order to get more grants. In the end after more study and the findings through grant procurement the findings can be very accurate or they are not exact. Its a nice cache and a great find but I am not seeing the same technology as I have seen in other clovis caches.

Some great articles on Clovis Caches from Bob Patten's web page Stone Dagger. Good info on the Busse Cache the Fenn Cache and more.

Brief description of Clovis cache contents.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                  Ron Kelley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There is some outstanding Clovis flaking in those caches. The Texas Alibates is beautiful.

it really is one amazing cache! I know there has been some talk on the FB groups that this looks to be maybe something later than clovis. Some of them look like jacks reef preforms to me, but I do see some heavy flake removals typical of the clovis guys. I would love to see more of the cache!

Comment

Working...
                X