Best scraper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best scraper?

I know it was through my input that this cranked up and has been one of the most popular so far, but......
    When I began to see more "not an entry" than entries I began to wonder if my entry would get lost in all the "Not an entries" sorry guys I gave up on even entering some of mine.
    If someone could weed out all the "not an entry" it would not be so overwhelming.
    It's just too much.
    Really guys, I have some doozies but maybe another time.
    Jess B.
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

Jessy, I am sorry you feel that way. Your Idea has been very fun to watch both entries and non entries. IMO Ron has done a great job in showing different types and explaining what your looking at. I did a count of both entries 45 to non entries 20 and yes there are a fair amount of non entries, it is one way to bump a thread to the top to keep it on the front page to encourage participation. The real winner of this contest is our forum with some awesome examples of a universal tool, and of some very exotic lithics. It goes to show how NA's viewed these, as prized possessions VS a point (IMO). 
    I am of the opinion, that I am showing not to win, but to show how awesome these tools really are, and I win every time I see another added to that thread. Please don't hold back, They will not go unnoticed by me anyways.
    Regards Chase
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hey Jess, I am not entering the contest because I am hosting the contest.
      The many "Not an Entry" posts are a result of my great enthusiasm for scrapers and artifacts in general.
      I'm sorry for overwhelming you with posts and I sure would like to see some Texas Scrapers.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Well Chase and Ron, you guys have made your point very obvious.
        I guess I was a little scared off by so much to see or filter through.
        There are so many distinct variants it would be hard to choose one!
        Oblique, round, triangular, uniface, biface so much to see so much to choose.
        Personally I think the triangular uniface and obvious rounds are my favorites.
        Ron to be honest I think that very first one is one of the finest I have ever seen, with very few exceptions, and I could not even vote on it.
        We have seen some of the best the U.S. has to offer here and if I'm not too late with an entry I'll give it a try. I'll scan what I have but the pics are of poor quality.
        Good luck to the best our Site has to offer.
        Jess B.
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

After discussion with Ron, I have now locked the thread that represents "Round 1" of the great scraper contest and "Round 2" is open and unlocked. For those that want to post nice examples without entering them for the competition, feel free to post them here... but since this thread is not actually part of the competition, please note that in a day or two I will be moving it to "Arrowheads -and- Other Lithic Artefacts". I will also move any "non-entries" posted into the competition into this thread.
          Hope that suits everyone! 
          Roger
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

After discussion with Ron, I have now locked the thread that represents "Round 1" of the great scraper contest and "Round 2" is open and unlocked. For those that want to post nice examples without entering them for the competition, feel free to post them here... but since this thread is not actually part of the competition, please note that in a day or two I will be moving it to "Arrowheads -and- Other Lithic Artefacts". I will also move any "non-entries" posted into the competition into this thread.
            Roger
              Roger is it your intention to remove all of my posts from the "Best Scraper Contest" thread? Why would you do that?
            Ron
            Michigan Yooper

Comment

[QUOTE]Ron Kelley wrote:

Originally posted by painshill post=127072
              Roger
                Roger is it your intention to remove all of my posts from the "Best Scraper Contest" thread? Why would you do that?
              Ron
                Nope! Not my intention at all. 
              I was picking up on Jess's (very valid) point that the "Round 1" thread - which was meant to be a competition had developed into a showcase of scrapers including many that were not intended as "entries". I'm not about to try cleaning that up. By contrast "Round 2" is now a clean thread that currently only contains the selected competition entries for voting. But since it's unlocked, there's nothing to stop people continuing to post more examples. If they do, I'll move them so that thread remains clean and folks are clear on what they're voting for.
              OK?
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Yes that is certainly OK. However I would like to add that people visit the contests for a variety of reasons. One reason is of course the friendly competition. I also visit the contests to see a wide variety of artifacts from across North America. On occasion I even hope to learn something.
                Ron
                Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:

Yes that is certainly OK. However I would like to add that people visit the contests for a variety of reasons. One reason is of course the friendly competition. I also visit the contests to see a wide variety of artifacts from across North America. On occasion I even hope to learn something.
                  Ron
                    Yeah... but a contest is a contest... even if it doesn't have a prize beyond bragging rights for the winner. And that's what this section of the forum is for. There are other sections for showcase examples of artefacts. Jess gave up on the competition and this poster got confused and missed the boat (I'll be moving his post too):

I've lost count of the number of posts I've moved in the last month or so because people (especially newbies) aren't disciplined enough to judge where their post really belongs and/or have a habit of "adding to the pile" without really reading where the thread is going. They just look at the last post and think "OK, I'll add my stuff too and see if anyone can tell me what its is". Mostly I've been moving inappropriate ID request and "show and tell" posts out of "Artifact Shows -and- Reviews". There's not much point in having specific titles for forum sections if people just post wherever their fancy takes them (I think "Shows and Reviews" is, unfortunately, the default section for new posts unless the poster changes it in the drop-down box.)

Comment

I'm sorry Roger I'm one that will forget to change sometimes....and have posted in shows and reveiws....I realize it to late and have tried to edit it to the correct place but have never found out how...it lets you edit everything but that...I try to be careful and put post in right place but I mess up sometimes....I thank all you guys for taking charge and doing what needs to be done....THANKS
                    I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Opinions Vary. And that other stuff is unrelated.
                      Michigan Yooper

Comment

Working...
                      X