Guess - GeoFact or Artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess - GeoFact or Artifact?

OK, I was bored and decided to play a game.
    Geofact or Artifact? :whistle:

If you click insert after you attach your photos to your post they will appear full size .
    Geofact
    Ps you can also use the edit icon to go back into your post and click insert to enlarge your pics, this saves the mods from having to do it for you.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I'm going with geofact also, but if not i can find a mess of those today! hmy:  :laugh:
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

First guess: moccasin last for an Indian dwarf with deformed feet.
        Second guess: it’s the “Stone of Anthuria” which was lost by the great Stellurian chieftain Xanthos during the War of the Weeping Apricots on Alpha-Centauri. The finder shall gain immunity from the Curse of the Drogons in level 3 of “Battle of the Gods” by placing it in the Cauldron of Meghran on the quest to inherit the Kingdom of Sapotec.
        Third guess: glacial cobble since it appears to have scarring on one side and eroded pseudo-faceting.
        But those are awfully small pictures to expect anything other than a guess, and we can’t see if any of the edge surfaces exhibit any use-wear.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

First guess is hammerstone just because this is a game. I have seen other river cobble this same shape that were used as hammerstones. On the hammerstones I'v seen the smaller end did the hammering. There is some damage on the smaller end of this stone but I couldn't say it is a hammerstone without a better look at the damage.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

First let me apologize for the pictures.  I would classify myself as technically autistic.  Good call Ron and Painshill.  I have seen many such stones in various collections identified as celts, hammer stones, and the like.  Even though the shape was naturally formed by very large ice cubes, some of them have evidence of use suggesting they were “artifacts of convenience”, exhibiting impact abrasion on working ends and even some selective flaking to accommodate hand use or hafting.  The subject stone has neither and in fact is from glacial outwash in Minnesota. 
            How about this one?

Comment

i was gonna guess Stone of Anthuria too....
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

The second one doesn't have visible pecking marks in the cup, shows no evidence of repetitive impact damage as might be expected from a nutting stone or similar and no evidence of rotary scratching as might be expected from a small mortar/medicine-grinder/paint-pot etc. The material looks like it might be greywacke, so the evidence points to it likely being a natural omarolluk, which is again from glacial transport. That view would be reinforced if you said it had been found in a relatively norhern state  from the central region to the eastern seabord.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

The stuffed Pink Flamingo goes to Painshill!  The angular nature of the rock is due both to bedding laminae and joint fractures resulting in the diamond shape.  Upon inspection (and you may not be able to see via the photos) there are no marks to suggest abrasion or flaking to form the shape or the depression, and as Painshill so guessed it is from the north associated with glacial outwash.  This one came from Wisconsin.
                  OK how about this one...

Comment

No it is not the Stone of Anthuria

Comment

None of these look dwemer nor dwarven to me. Of  course that second one if held under certain pressure with heat for maybe a million years might turn into an Aetherium Shard
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hard stone artifacts ? well most are not easy. from what I can see is Natural
                        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Lithophylic wrote:

No it is not the Stone of Anthuria
                            inch:  damn!
                          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Pictures not great on that third one when enlarged, but it looks like a pecking stone that's been used for light percussion work.

Comment

Correct.  Although the photos make it hard to see,  the stone (which was shaped naturally) has been abraded on each end resulting in a subtle flattening of each end.  Careful inspection of the center areas of the stone also indicate minor polishing due to hand use or possible hafting.  This piece was collected in north Alabama.  Dang you guys are good.  It is important to remember though that you can get secondary abrasion on stone pieces through alluvial processes i.e. banging around in a stream, and in some cases this damage can look identical to that resulting from human use.

Comment

Working...
                              X