WE could use You're help designing a Knapping Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE could use You're help designing a Knapping Contest

If You are a Knapper and plan on entering The Knapping Contest You're ideas can mold how it will be ran. Also We are asking that You're Entry be donated to The site for future Contest's.

Do You wan't to limit The Contest To Abo Tools and restrict slabs?
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Maybe two separate contest, one abo only/ no slabs, one modern tools/slabs allowed? To cover both areas. One entry per contestant, per each contest...
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That would make things even.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
        Maybe two separate contest, one abo only/ no slabs, one modern tools/slabs allowed? To cover both areas. One entry per contestant, per each contest...
        Thank's! That's a good suggestion.

Comment

i dont think limiting the use of slabs would be fair

one can get a man made slab of rock of any material these days from many vendors
          but one could always get natural slabs of rocks,knappers call them tabs, no difference in how you work them

the only real difference is that man made them more accessible to more people

i have tabs of pedernales,knife river,georgetown and other stuff that are all natural slabs

Comment

how about a contest for best flake pattern on a specific point type

the type of point to be determined before the contest starts(a simple style,nothing hard to make a like a cumberland or clovis etc)

the members of the forum could be the judges of the contest
            whom ever gets the most likes in a predetermined time period would be the winner

Comment

Both good suggestions Sneaky, Thanks!
              We can get it figured out one way or another.

Comment

i think to kick this contest off we should just let the knappers go at it with any tool set they feel comfortable with
                do an easy point like desert side notch and go with best flake pattern(this point style has a random pattern so it should be easy enough for all knappers to replicate)
                also the point size and shape should be as accurate as possible

but then we still need to decide what the prize(s) would be for the contest(s)
                and how long the contest will run

on some knapping sites they do a point of the month contest(strictly for bragging rights)
                but i think to get more of the closet knappers involved we need to offer a prize for each contest
                but also need to keep things fairly simple as far as point styles go

just my 2 cents on it

Comment

Thanks for your input Sneaky.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I only suggested two seperate contests because it might give some people who aren't as advanced, or setting on sawed slabs an opportunity to be competitive, plus it would be interesting to see both schools...I don't have a problem with just letting everybody do it the way they are use to, and know how though, I'll participate regardless. Looking forward to breaking some rock and seeing everyone's stuff! Josh it's your idea for a knapping contest, set the guidelines and let's do it!
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
                    X