Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my gift today from tsums nice little blade from Cape cod and a green point from the Hudson Valley in NewYork thanks secret Santa. The blade is the top one. The "Greene" point is below it. Click image for larger version  Name:	20161220_131103.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.4 KB ID:	235156
    Last edited by Hoss; 12-20-2016, 05:31 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Your welcome Paul. Fun to have some artifacts from different parts of the country.
      South Dakota

Comment

I thought I was kind of naughty this year, but after getting my gift from secret santa Paul Frey, I guess I must have been nicer than I thought. I got a beautiful Basal notch Erb-Eshback, a Brewerton side notch,
        a very cool Meadowood Blade and Meadowood Point. I was just admiring the Meadowood, that someone recently posted. I forget now who that was, and now I have one. Thank you very much Paul. You were overly kind. Gary Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	235176Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	235177
        South Dakota

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are very nice Gary. I posted some meadowood points recently.

• pkfrey
          pkfrey commented
          Editing a comment
          Gary, Your very welcome, but after looking at the celt you sent over and over, I think Santa still owes you some more.!! It's been fun, and I love KRF!!! Merry X-Mas!! Paul P.S. The darker ones are Onondaga chert, the side notched point is Dauphin Co. Cream.

Yes that's right Hoss. That was you.
        South Dakota

Comment

Paul, I was thinking the same thing about you. Santa doesn't owe me anything. I love my points.
          South Dakota

Comment

WOW I love my Christmas gift from Josh (Kyflintguy). Josh made me a pendent necklace and a second gift of an absolutely beautiful Rankin artifact point all in a Riker frame. Josh made the pendent from some Cannel Coal. And LOOK at those bone beads. Many Thanks Josh. You made it and that makes this a very special Christmas Buddy.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Pendent a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	235506Click image for larger version  Name:	Pendent b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	235507Click image for larger version  Name:	Pendent c.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	235504Click image for larger version  Name:	Pendent d.jpg Views:	1 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	235505
            Last edited by Ron Kelley; 12-24-2016, 04:39 PM.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kyflintguy
              Kyflintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad you like it Ron! I wish I had took some pictures of the stone before I started but I did take photos as I was forming the pendant and drilling it... I may share those in a separate thread. That piece of cannel coal was just perfect, nice and dense without imperfections. I'm going to have to hunt down some more of it because its a real pleasure to shape. Glad the package arrived I was starting to worry. Lol

• CoachG
              CoachG commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome Necklace Josh. Nice point too.

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Josh, I will be watching for the pendent post. It will be interesting to see. I had no idea what cannel coal was: That's some cool material.

congrats to all of you

so sad i missed out on this

i dont always notice the new topics when i use my cell phone to view the site(which is what i do when im out in the semi)
            well maybe next year i can take part in this,looks like it was fun for all that were able to par take in it.

once again congrats on all the cool items that were given and received

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

Comment

Thanks for the gifts Hoss.. Squibnocket stemmed points from Marthas vineyard and connecticut..and a northern piedmont from PA..

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Terry, Those are some nice artifacts. When I see the different lithic materials that the ancients had to work with it just reminds me how much easier it is today to transport the material. across long distances.

Finally got The Photos of The Points Michael (CoachG) sent. Some neat types and material, Thanks. Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2227.jpg Views:	1 Size:	150.2 KB ID:	236329
              Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2228.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	236330
              Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2229.jpg Views:	1 Size:	157.7 KB ID:	236331
              Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2230.jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.9 KB ID:	236332
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I know, I know. No excuse, they have been laying on the desk for a month and half.
                Chase had been on the road and not being home during Christmas he was kind enough to gift me these two pieces he found while visiting the Skeltons in Montana. A flake knife and a Avonlea point, both found in a bison bone bed. Thanks to all of you!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20170210_142703.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	240537
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

This post has been a very long time in the making. Roger aka painshill was who I drew to exchange gifts with.
                  My package to him arrived on time. However his package to me never did make it to the post office.
                  Life had gotten in the way and time slipped by. Messages of regret were exchanged between us.
                  That is until just recently. Roger and his lovely wife are on an extended vacation that brought him to my beautiful part of the world.
                  I had the great honor to meet the two of them yesterday and it felt like we were rekindling an old friendship.
                  Out of respect for him I did not take any pictures so please excuse me for not adding them.
                  We were to meet at a pub nearby where they are staying here on the island.
                  I was able to secure a table with a view before they arrived. Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	1 Size:	398.2 KB ID:	254532
                  Hugs and howdy doos were quickly exchanged and libations were ordered.
                  Roger did not wait long before he reached for a small bag that he had brought with him.
                  And quickly explained that he had not forgot the secret Santa gifts.
                  The first thing that he produced from that bag was a lovely old coin. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170701_171800.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	254533
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	phpEkGPUSPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	254534
                  Roger and I both share a passion for military items.
                  And he made my day when these were the next items out of the bag. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpT9YZyyPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	374.2 KB ID:	254535
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	php6C2ysuPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	465.3 KB ID:	254536
                  As I was fondling the hat badges I noticed him fiddling with something else in the bag.
                  I turned and noticed that his wife had a big smile on her face just as he asked if I like oddities.
                  Well needless to say the answer to that was a resounding yes.
                  This tiny speck of rock without the story does not look like much. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpL2zOV2PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	216.0 KB ID:	254537
                  When you look at the label on the underside of the box my joy at receiving it might become more apparent. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpehJRqnPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	334.4 KB ID:	254538
                  Roger went onto explain that very few fragments of this meteorite made it out of Russia before they closed down the export of them.
                  Some meteorites if they are large have initial incendiary crust on them. Other smaller fragments may have a mix of initial and secondary incendiary crust.
                  This one only has secondary crust on it. As he explained, when the initial large meteorite exploded in the upper atmosphere the tiny fragments start burning thus gaining the crust.
                  All I can say is that I am astonished by how delicate this looks. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpTaL5XPPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	249.4 KB ID:	254539
                  Last edited by 2ndoldman; 07-02-2017, 12:28 PM.
                  Bruce
                  In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Deevee06
                    Deevee06 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Amen!!!!! I I guess I'm both !
                    Last edited by Deevee06; 08-04-2017, 07:46 PM. Reason: I wasn't done writing still new at computer since divorce

I think that Roger was really enjoying playing the role of Santa last night.
                  Because he had a real twinkle in his eye when he finally produced this last item.
                  The label really is almost enough for this post. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpF1hDMcPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.0 KB ID:	254541
                  As all of you can well imagine. I will never find an artifact this old over on this side pf the pond.
                  I wish that I had had a tape recorder running because I know that I could never do the explanation on this item as much justice as he did.
                  This would have been halfted to a short thrusting spear. His reasoning for that was explained by his wife.
                  Apparently the Neanderthals most common injuries are almost identical to those sustained by rodeo riders.
                  Yup those old guys would apparently jump on the backs of their prey animals and thrust the spears into them.
                  When I turned it over Roger explained that the percussion bulb is about the largest that he has ever seen.
                  Not only that but this bulb is damn near perfect. Click image for larger version  Name:	php4xrrN3PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	254542
                  Speaking of almost perfect, the edges on this are still vary crisp. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpc2K4SNPM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	254543
                  Last edited by 2ndoldman; 07-02-2017, 12:27 PM.
                  Bruce
                  In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Bruce, looking at your gifts put a huge smile on my face. Santa is good!!! Merry belated.
                    Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                      2ndoldman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Santa was having as much fun as I was Deb.

How cool is that? Thanks for the share, Bruce. The Chelyabinsk meteorite is very nice. Recall I posted a cool video recently documenting that fall. The single most spectacular such event in our lifetime. It scared the daylights out of everyone and produced thousands of little individual meteorites from that fall. All cool gifts, and glad to hear Roger and his wife are enjoying their trip and that you had the chance to meet them.

Here is that video, Bruce, in case you want to see how spectacular that meteor strike was. Hope the video is still available....

This Nova episode aired 5/24/17. I can't recommend it highly enough. The story of the biggest asteroid impact on Earth since the 1908 Tunguska, Siberia event, which completely flattened millions of trees. This was the Chelyabinsk meteor event, which airburst over the city of the same name, which is also located in Siberia, in
                    Rhode Island

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                      2ndoldman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for reminding all of us about the link you shared earlier Charlie.

Thanks for sharing the pics Bruce
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                      2ndoldman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are very welcome Matt. And like I explained in my other post he has given me his promise to return here when he returns home
                  Working...
                  X